What's up with Jaguar/Land Rover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm on my third VW Passat Estate and apart from a rear door lock that freezes in very cold weather this one has been 100% reliable in 3 years. When my employer wants it back I'm going to buy it off them as I like it so much, it's the perfect cyclist's car.

You've only got to look at car forecourts all around the country to see that there's a massive over-supply of cars chasing too small a market.

Good and bad, apart from my Mazda 6 estate the Passat was the worst car I have owned for bills. On the other hand my Citreons were very easy on the wallet. I buy ex fleet or Motab cars with a bit of mileage and sell them again at about !70,000 the Mazda went at 95,000.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm on my third VW Passat Estate and apart from a rear door lock that freezes in very cold weather this one has been 100% reliable in 3 years. When my employer wants it back I'm going to buy it off them as I like it so much, it's the perfect cyclist's car.

You've only got to look at car forecourts all around the country to see that there's a massive over-supply of cars chasing too small a market.

At 3 years old its new. Very little has ever gone wrong in my 17 year old Nissan. Bought it at 10 months old and have kept it. Only sees a garage for the MOT.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
As has been said, an over reliance on diesel engined models at the same time as HM Government launch a half-arsed and poorly executed reversal of two decades of policy by suddenly demonising diesel and threatening lots of additional taxes for anyone who has one.

Plus the previously mentioned reliability issues
Plus they are fantastically over-engineered for what 90%+ of buyers will ever use them for, making them expensive to run / maintain / insure.
Plus parts supply problems that can leave customers off the road for months when they do need repair
Plus they depreciate like a stone
Plus their Chinese market has all but collapsed

Yes, there do seem to be lots of them about, but nearly all of those will be lease / PCP or something similar as very few people buy any sort of new car now.
That means they've been bought by a leasing or finance company that will get a big discount for buying in bulk, so there aren't the profits that there would have been from retail customers in the past.

[QUOTE 5541191, member: 9609"]they're a stupidly oversized and environmentally damaging catastrophe, hopefully we are heading towards a society that will find ownership of such monstrosities embarrassing.

(wishful thinking I know, think @phaton has the real truth of it, uncertainty on diesel )[/QUOTE]

My cousin works for them, pretty high up in the human resources management end. They make her drive the latest top of the range Range Rover for commuting, despite protests that it barely fits into the cul-de-sac she lives in.

She calls it 'The beast'.

They give her a new one every six months.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
At 3 years old its new. Very little has ever gone wrong in my 17 year old Nissan. Bought it at 10 months old and have kept it. Only sees a garage for the MOT.

Indeed. I'm often baffled by people who say they ran a car for three years and it was faultless.

The hallmark of a good car is if you see many on the roads beyond 15 years old. In this regard Japanese cars reign supreme.

gbb

Legendary Member
I also think that the PCP thing has run its course and I know a few people who have handed back the cars and just gone and got a second hand car this I think reducing demand for new cars

Also cars last longer if you look after them I just can’t see how they keep making so many cars when they last so long

I remember the days of the Vauxhall’s viva

Cars like that rotted in front of you!
I always suspected the explosion of Evokes for Instance was driven by PCP. My son had a more modest choice on PCP, an Astra but he's realised the negatives and didnt renew?...so I suspect you're right re the demand for new cars...PCP must have been a boon for manufacturers.

[QUOTE 5542558, member: 9609"]But the manafacturers seem to have a cunning plan here - I have a mate with a back street repair business, and he tells me the latest cars he is getting (just out of warranty) can't even do stuff like oil changes - sensors on oil diesel filters have to be programmed into the ECU after changing - so that's a main dealer job.

It won't be long before owning a car outwith its warrenty will be a financial liability (its already happened with wagons) So like it or not you will just have to keep buying new (another environmental disaster binning off perfectly good vehicles)[/QUOTE]

We're seeing this with bikes too: Ebikes have increasingly non-standard parts that need changing by dealers and can't be swapped between bikes, and I notice Schwalbe are trying to sell tyres you can't put in yourself, egads.

lane

Veteran
Indeed. I'm often baffled by people who say they ran a car for three years and it was faultless.

The hallmark of a good car is if you see many on the roads beyond 15 years old. In this regard Japanese cars reign supreme.

Agree with that. My Toyota is +100k miles and eight years old (I bought it at about 35k miles) and apart from normal consumable items and a small cost related to a water pump it has been completely reliable. I don't think I have ever spend so little on a car. Also I have had other cars when +100k miles start to rattle and squeak but the Toyota is like knew. Never had a Toyota before but would definitely have one again.

MarkF

Guru
They are "selling" a premium product and charging accordingly but supplying nothing of the sort. The new Jags are rusting faster than Datsuns ever did. ^_^

Top Bottom