What's up with Jaguar/Land Rover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm surprised Hydrogen isn't catching on. Fuel cell technology is quite effective and mature now, and it eliminates range anxiety concerns in one fell swoop...or it would if anyone got behind in for the infrastructure.

Hydrogen is in reality just another battery system with the added problem of complex and expensive storage and transport systems. It won't happen as it i'll always be a lot more expensive than sending the electricity needed to produce it directly to charge batteries .

FishFright

More wheels than sense
This story about Doug DeMuro's own Range Rover might offer an explanation as to why JLR are in trouble. He took out a warranty on the used car which has paid out in repairs more than the car is now worth !

View: https://youtu.be/FvJCCoLoKRA

Not just any warranty , a bumper to bumper warranty !

I also think that the PCP thing has run its course and I know a few people who have handed back the cars and just gone and got a second hand car this I think reducing demand for new cars

Also cars last longer if you look after them I just can’t see how they keep making so many cars when they last so long

I remember the days of the Vauxhall’s viva

Cars like that rotted in front of you!

I now have one. It’s great. Drives really well. Lots of gadgets. Got a petrol which is very unusual but becoming more common but got the bigger engine which drives nicely. Only 6 months old, granted, but no issue at all.

We didn’t get one of the big ones but one that’s big enough so the kids have plenty of space in the back and there’s a decent size boot. Electronic deploying towbar for a 4 bike rack is great.

We looked at saloon cars giving the same legroom throughout (particularly the back) and the equivalent was nearly half a meter longer. So going up gives the same internal space but with a much small footprint. You’re welcome.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
From a USA perspective: they offer vehicles that cost as much as Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, BMW and Mercedes -yet offer questionable reliability with extremely poor resale value. Most people over here who want a luxury vehicle will plump for those brands over JLR. Another thing (at least from my personal opinion) is while traditionally Jaguar offered distinctive looking cars, all their recent offerings are just generically styled to me -take the badge off and if you didn't know it was a Jaguar most people wouldn't know it was one.... They could easily be Toyotas, Hondas or Hyundais.

Brains

Legendary Member
For the Land Rover range they should have been looking at LPG as the fuel option 10-15 years ago.

LPG is relatively easy to obtain even in remote places as it's widely used for cooking.
Also you don't need to do much to a diesel engine to make it run on LPG, especially if its designed that way from the start.
(There is however as issue with the storage tank, but again if the vehicle is designed for LPG as an option from the start then it's not a problem)

(I've seen LPG being refueled in Morocco by hanging a cooking LPG canister upside down in a tree and using gravity to load)

perplexed

Guru
I know someone who bought a used Range Rover (think it was about 9 years old at the time), very much against the advice of a mutual friend who was a mechanic for JLR.

Before he bought it, the mechanic guy essentially reeled off a list of about 10 things that he more or less guarenteed would break within a year, non of them cheap. The other guy went ahead and bought it anyway.

He spent much of the following year coming to work in his wife's car whilst his RR was having one of the many predicted breakages repaired...

Drago

Legendary Member
Being sensible for a moment, a rarity for me, in these supposedly enlighted environmental times such needless and excessive consumption is utterly obscene. If JLR mismanagement don't get them then rising sea levels surely will.

byegad

Legendary Member
In our local news feed this morning, Newcastle on Tyne are considering a fee, varying from £3.40 to £56 per day for vehicles using the city bridges. My Yaris Hybrid would pay very little, a large diesel lorry the £56. I think the kick-back on diesel usage is just around the corner!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Despite what folk here are saying, it's got nothing to do with reliability concerns

2018 sales of JLR were up in all key markets except China. There sales fell by more than 50%. This fall was due to several reasons; slowdown in the Chinese economy, changes to importation tarriffs and uncertainty over global trade.

So sales are up in N America, UK, Mainland Europe...but down in China. That fall, which is the reason why JLR is struggling had nothing to do with reliability

D

Deleted member 26715

Which is one of the reasons they will be worth FA in future. A market saturated with cars that nobody wants to buy...
But there isn't a viable alternative for many, if not most people, which is why the Government can't tax them off the road.

Top Bottom