What's with all the black?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
This is probably the wrong place to post this, but at least I reckon I'll get a sympathetic hearing.

I've been back into cycling for a couple of years now, and have bought two new bikes in that time - a Dawes Galaxy which was returned as there were too many things about it I didn't like, and its replacement a Dawes Galaxy Cross. The Cross is a nice bike and rides well, but both the 'new' bikes have left me a bit unsatisfied when I stand and look at them. It was only last weekend that I realised why.

I took off the ergo grips from the Cross, as they added nothing to comfort and efficiency, and looked like something off the orthopaedic ward. I replaced them with normal lock-on grips and some bar ends. The bar ends I chose were the ones from Halfords with the little tool kits hidden inside, which I thought was a great idea. Looking at the bike now, they are the bits on it that give me the most pleasure. I've just realised it's because they are nice polished alloy. Everything else on the bike - chainset, wheels, bars, stem, seatpost, rack - are in matte or gloss black, with lots of graphics plastered all over.

Dawes-Galaxy-Cross-2.jpg

While I appreciate that there is a fashion in these things, I just find all of this very ugly. If there was a quick and non-damaging way to strip all the black off and have just plain alloy that I could polish when I felt like it, I would do it tomorrow. But I suspect the coatings are bonded pretty securely, and it might be better to just replace components with alloy equivalents - the total cost of which could be significant (and a bit of a waste, as everything functions perfectly).

I'm not asking for advice, really, just having a moan. When I was looking round for a new bike last year, I was in a position to put the best part of a grand into a new steed, and nothing I saw in the shops or online really made me think "I have got to have one of those". Now I realise why. I went for a Dawes because of a good experience with a Galaxy in the 80s, but of course the fashions and even the country of manufacture have changed.

Rant over, thanks for listening :smile:

...try telling that to Henry Ford.......

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
I think all-black components would go quite well with a white frame, but the Cross is a kind of electric blue. This would look great with shiny alloy, but with black it looks a bit - not sure of the right word - overdone. Too much going on.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Autosol or tomato ketchup for removing the black finish.
Depends on the actual finish though.
Ketchup? Are you sure? Some of it seems very ... how you say ... permanent.

I'll have to examine it more closely, but some of it seems a kind of crackle finish, which I imagine would be a world of pain if you tried autosol. I'd be thinking more about a chemical strip - which is getting into the realms of the silly, when everything is in good nick and working. It's just a whim, really.

Last edited:
I agree with you Richardb. There seems to be a bit of a Magpie in us that likes bright shiny objects. If you saw your old bike in a shop looking all shiny and new you would probably buy it again.

I'm not a fan of the recent "stealth" look on road bikes either. I suppose the increased use of deep-section Carbon wheels has driven this to a certain extent.

Merida in particular have been through a particularly dour phase, but are now showing signs of coming out of it with more coloured frames in evidence. Unfortunately, a lot of the finishing kit is still black.

As a brand Trek have managed to maintain some good paint schemes and nice looking bikes, and I've always liked Bianchi's celesta and the Lamborghini orange used on some Specialized frames.

Graham

I was just curious wondering if manufacturers offered a choice of colour these days and just went on a well known companies web site beginning with H.
I happened to look at a Boardman road bike , carbon frame which would normally be black but was painted to resemble an alloy.
It just seems a bit odd to me!

Top Bottom