What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Oh I don't know. Just wait and see how far petrol and diesel increase over the next 5 years. In the last year diesel has gone up 62p. If the trend continues it could be costing £5 per litre...

Of course Electricity is getting more costly too, but I still think it will be cheaper than oil. And it's good to know that the only important thing in life is saving money. I'm sure he'll enjoy fitting out the car with floats, rudder and propeller if everyone else does the same thing. Remember it's hard to make petrol cars float but easy to do that with electric...:hyper:

It'll be interesting to see whether you were right or not...:becool:
Plenty time to jump into an EV just not now! Be an absolute mug to pay the extra premium for one . If I can talk him into buying an even older car than he is planning I’d be happier ! Fuel prices will be what they will be but high oil price also equals high electric prices as well for all the reasons we have read about with the energy crisis !

icowden

Veteran
Plenty time to jump into an EV just not now! Be an absolute mug to pay the extra premium for one . If I can talk him into buying an even older car than he is planning I’d be happier ! Fuel prices will be what they will be but high oil price also equals high electric prices as well for all the reasons we have read about with the energy crisis !
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think an EV is a good investment both ecologically and financially (if you can afford one obviously). Oil prices are only going to go one way.

the-only-way-is-up-yazz.gif

Think I’ve persuaded my eldest to not spend the extra £10k on the equivalent EV he was going to buy but instead buy the petrol version . He would never save that money over the ownership of that car !

I bought my EV second hand for the same price my pal paid for a second hand mini.

I'm saving at least £100 a month on fuel and that calculation was from a few months back. Probably more now.

Buying brand new is the worst mistake you can make.

I know they will have to probably do a tax per mile driven eventually so why not change now and enjoy a few years of cheap driving ?

chris-suffolk

I'm saving at least £100 a month on fuel and that calculation was from a few months back. Probably more now.

Granted, if you do a lot of miles, you'll save a lot in fuel. But my car has only done 100 miles in the last month. For the difference in price between IC and EV powered, I'd be waiting until hell freezes over to break even. Prices need to come down some.

As an aside, was in the Hope valley a couple of weeks back, and the campsite didn't allow EVs to be charged. You had to use the public charge point in the carpark in the village - except that for the whole time I was there it was out of order. The petrol station 1/2 mile down the road had both petrol and diesel. So a few other areas need to be sorted first before I'll consider EV.

icowden

Veteran
As an aside, was in the Hope valley a couple of weeks back, and the campsite didn't allow EVs to be charged. You had to use the public charge point in the carpark in the village - except that for the whole time I was there it was out of order. The petrol station 1/2 mile down the road had both petrol and diesel. So a few other areas need to be sorted first before I'll consider EV.
True, but fast charging was available at both Morrisons and Tesco about 20 minutes away from Hope valley. Or there was Goosehill Hall holiday cottages if you contact the owner.

classic33

Leg End Member
You do. Any electric car will tell you where the nearest working charge point is. Or you can get your phone out and check zapmap.
Either of those will tell you to contact the owner of another campsite, to let you charge. That's pushing things a bit.
I suppose they supply his number as well?

You do. Any electric car will tell you where the nearest working charge point is. Or you can get your phone out and check zapmap.

I don't know why, but I now have a mental image of E-cars trundling along and complaining like Marvin the Paranoid Android: "I told you to plug me in at the last campsite, but you knew better. Now you're down to 8%.

Now listen. Stop looking at that Tesla and listen. It's 24.63 miles to the next charging point so you need to slow right down. And turn left here. I said turn left. Oh, for goodness sake..."

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
according to the news my workplace is going to have a hydrogen filling station for the local council bin lorries as the depot is a couple of miles away and the council dont think EV will have the range needed ,Council are paying for it mostly,Interestingly my company has been pushing for hydrogen against the tide of full EV

according to the news my workplace is going to have a hydrogen filling station for the local council bin lorries as the depot is a couple of miles away and the council dont think EV will have the range needed ,Council are paying for it mostly,Interestingly my company has been pushing for hydrogen against the tide of full EV

Hydrogen is never going to be the solution for cars. It's a good way to keep people paying the distribution networks though.
Hydrogen will cost more than electric.
Then you add on the cost of the hydrogen garages. I'd much rather fill the car on the drive overnight.

Top Bottom