What's with the fuel prices! And cheap whisky, apparently ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment, the problems start to set in if you don't have good public transport - and if you live anywhere remote (that thar countryside) it's seemingly impossible to provide good public transport. This then presents a problem for people who live in that thar countryside but don't have a huge income to pay for motoring costs.

That's why most road pricing proposals take into account where you are driving and if it's urban or rural, so people in the countryside aren't penalised.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Put your bike in the car, cycle home? Repeat when collecting the car...
May not be as quick as driving but...
don't have a bike, and if I did it wouldn't fit! I have made other arrangements, involving more car use becasue I'm pushed for time, but my point was that a relatively simple journey to one of the main parts of the east city only has one bus route connecting it, and it only goes to city centre

We had a little discussion at work today, after listening to a couple of the Doctors complaining about the price of fuel....
Be thankful, your car doesn't run on coffee!!

One of them had called for a Costa on the way-in, so I asked how much it was
Apparantly, it was a Latte at (I had to look it up) £3.20
According to the 'net, a medium cup is 12 fluid ounces

There's '35.something' fluid ounces in a litre

Let's round up to 36, so that Doctor just paid the equivilant of £9.60 for hot-water, milk & a few ground coffee beans!!

Crazy isn't it!:eek::wacko:

gbb

Legendary Member
Inevitable consequences , yet ones you simply dont consider until its highlighted. My SIL is a garage mechanic, I always ask him how things are....quiet, very quiet. Quiet enough to make most of the mechanics pay off their accounts with the tool suppliers, probably fearful of being laid off.

As a petrol car owner, whats with diesel ? Colleague had to go to 4 garages last week to find diesel, ended up paying £1.94 ltr for super diesel, all he could find. Is it the protesters strangling distribution ? Is that why where it is available, its price differential to petrol is much bigher than normal ?

gbb

Legendary Member
So while they say you shouldn't drive beyong the nearest garage trying to save money, stubborness got the better of me.
Local station, £1.63 Ltr for E10
Last week, Tescos, 1.5 miles away was £1.57 ltr

2 days ago, i needed fuel but couldnt bring myself to pay 6 p per litre extra so i drove to Tescos, by the time i got there its now £1.61. Ahh well, its better than £1.63 so i put my fuel in, drove home and parked up for the night.

Following morning, went out to work, drove past my local station.....it's gone down to £1.57 overnight :whistle::laugh:

Ahh well.

icowden

Veteran
As a petrol car owner, whats with diesel ? Colleague had to go to 4 garages last week to find diesel, ended up paying £1.94 ltr for super diesel, all he could find. Is it the protesters strangling distribution ? Is that why where it is available, its price differential to petrol is much bigher than normal ?
It hasn't changed. It's been about 20p per litre more expensive for quite some time.
https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle/cars/diesel-more-expensive-petrol-fuel-costs-3607014

The flip side is that Diesels use 15-20% less fuel than petrol cars. They were pushed by the Government as they are less "polluting" in terms of CO2 greenhouse gasses. Sadly they are more polluting in terms of NO, N2O, N3O and NO2.

Diesel has to be mostly imported whereas Petrol is refined in the UK, so things like Ukraine have really strangulated supply and pushed up prices - a fifth of our diesel comes from Russia.

I really need my new Electric car to be delivered!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It hasn't changed. It's been about 20p per litre more expensive for quite some time.
https://www.nationalworld.com/lifestyle/cars/diesel-more-expensive-petrol-fuel-costs-3607014

The flip side is that Diesels use 15-20% less fuel than petrol cars. They were pushed by the Government as they are less "polluting" in terms of CO2 greenhouse gasses. Sadly they are more polluting in terms of NO, N2O, N3O and NO2.

Diesel has to be mostly imported whereas Petrol is refined in the UK, so things like Ukraine have really strangulated supply and pushed up prices - a fifth of our diesel comes from Russia.

I really need my new Electric car to be delivered!

Could be waiting a while……. Heard of some car orders being cancelled as they can’t be fulfilled. Interesting as well Tesla showing no signs of slowing down selling cars. Even after pushing up prices . Folk are still parting with their cash ! How the other half live !

vickster

Legendary Member
I paid 167.9 for Super UL at Sainsburys. Car was saying 25mile range and fuel light was on. Took £70 to fill it up...never spent that much on petrol in one go ever :wacko::wacko::wacko: This should last me until 11 June (I am going to Leicestershire for a sportive), especially as I'm away for a week in late May.

I'd put £48 in on 11 March so not too bad, certainly doesn't justify spending £30k+ on an EV :unsure:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I paid 167.9 for Super UL at Sainsburys. Car was saying 25mile range and fuel light was on. Took £70 to fill it up...never spent that much on petrol in one go ever :wacko::wacko::wacko: This should last me until 11 June (I am going to Leicestershire for a sportive), especially as I'm away for a week in late May.

I'd put £48 in on 11 March so not too bad, certainly doesn't justify spending £30k+ on an EV :unsure:

Think I’ve persuaded my eldest to not spend the extra £10k on the equivalent EV he was going to buy but instead buy the petrol version . He would never save that money over the ownership of that car !

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran

My heart bleeds. My last tankful (56 litres) was £99.10 :cry::cry::cry:

icowden

Veteran
Think I’ve persuaded my eldest to not spend the extra £10k on the equivalent EV he was going to buy but instead buy the petrol version . He would never save that money over the ownership of that car !
Oh I don't know. Just wait and see how far petrol and diesel increase over the next 5 years. In the last year diesel has gone up 62p. If the trend continues it could be costing £5 per litre...

Of course Electricity is getting more costly too, but I still think it will be cheaper than oil. And it's good to know that the only important thing in life is saving money. I'm sure he'll enjoy fitting out the car with floats, rudder and propeller if everyone else does the same thing. Remember it's hard to make petrol cars float but easy to do that with electric...:hyper:

It'll be interesting to see whether you were right or not...:becool:

Top Bottom