What's wrong with me? I don't want to go MTBing any more!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I seem to have lost my enthusiasm for MTBing - maybe it's the rotten weather as I enjoyed a fine weather trip over High Street recently. I can't be arsed with getting wet and muddy, coming home late, cleaning the bike and my kit, having a shower then enduring my wife's complaints. There used to be excitement in being out late especially night riding, when it's cold fresh and dry but I just can't be bothered with the mud any more.

Am I going soft or something? Anybody else feel the same at the moment? Maybe it's because I've just rebuilt a rather tasty old road bike (see photo gallery) and I'm going through a phase of roadie deviancy?

Erm, how old are you? Real age, not mental age! :tongue:

dodgy

I must admit, I get more pleasure from hammering the roads these days, as long as the ride is more than 70 miles or so. I still love going out with mates offroad, but I am absolutely definitely a fair weather rider these days (still ride more than many an all-weather rider though). I hate going out in the rain and I'm not a fan of mud at all any more.
Can't beat going offroad and coming home to only have to clean dust off the bike, though :tongue:

You just need to admit it to yourself, there's nothing wrong with not liking the mud and rain.

My name is dodgy, and I'm a fair weather rider.

There, done it.

Dave.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes, I'm heading in the same direction - I pick and choose now and only go out when the weather is OK and it's a ride I like. Yesterday evening they did a ride, which always starts with an unnecessary diversion through woods, which yesterday evening would have been soggy, muddy, rooty, dripping wet, sweaty, midge infested and generally unpleasant. On the other hand some of the club's rides go over high breezy well drained ground with great views and are genuinely enjoyable mountain bike rides - those are the rides I go for.

But now I'm hoping to get some road miles in because I reckon road riding is actually better training than MTBing as you don't stop so often.

Losidan

Dont you find that too much of a good thing always makes you stale?

Maybe if you stick to the roads again for a while and then come back to the MTB in a few months you'll find a whole new enthusiasm for it.

Just a thought. I know I used to have phases being mad for each.

GilesM

Legendary Member
I don't think there is any thing wrong with you, the weather's crap, alot of the trails are slightly muddy to say the least and you've just got a shiny road toy to play with, maybe some new shiny MTB bits would help.

But now I'm hoping to get some road miles in because I reckon road riding is actually better training than MTBing as you don't stop so often.

I totally understand, I had a great MTB ride on Sunday, but there was alot more stopping than is healthy.

I'd only worry if I didn't want to cycle anywhere.

Giles

Because my MTB has been poorly and at the workshop I did a bit of roadie stuff on my old Carlton. Actually I enjoyed it, and I've used it for a good few evening runs this summer.

But I'm happy to get the MTB back because I go out every Sunday 52 weeks a year on that. At 40 I'm still the little kid playing in the mud, snow or dust.
Cleaning the thing in the back yard in -5C on New Years Day is a bit wearing on the resolve though.

mondobongo

Über Member
Switched to the road a year ago now don't regret it and sometimes think should have switched earlier.

trio25

Über Member
I go through phases where I do nearly all my riding on road or nearly all my riding off road. I love them both but sometimes I prefer one to the other. Get a singlespeed for the muddy riding, takes minutes to clean and brought my enjoyment back!

postman

Legendary Member
Funny old world a'int it.I got the 'hump' last week.Put that down to the painkillers and antibiotics.Which i gave some hammer to get rid of earache.But i had the feeling cos i was not touring i was not a cyclist.This week had three outings.24,44 and on friday Leeds to Burnsall a wonderful 58 miler.In superb scenery and up and down hills.With some great refreshment stops.Sometimes think a change of area does you good.So yours should pass aswell.

goosander

Über Member
Definately finding a lack of enthusiasm for the local trails, especially as it has rained so much this summer the trails haven't dried out at all and are if anything muddier than they were in winter.

Any decent trail centres nearby? For me, the improved drainage and change of scene from the local stuff make it worth the drive (and lets not forget cakes in the cafe :eek:).

Top Bottom