What's wrong with some other cyclists ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commuting to work last Thursday, I got overtaken by a fellow roadie younger than myself up a slight incline. No hello, or exchange of pleasantries. So I caught up with him no bother, then overtook him, where I said hello, it was replied with a half hearted reply. He then overtook me again and then I decided to just sit on his back wheel. He was obsessed with looking where I was as if he was in a race, we eventually went our separate ways when I turned off. I couldn't resist shouting k**b ! as he went on his way. What's wrong with some folk ? A smile, hello or nod of the head, or wave too much ? Some mothers do have them ! Any other tales of ignorance that people have had ?

Some of these posts worry me a little, as they are based on assumptions that may not even be true.

As others have suggested , lets take another look, at a possible view from the other guy.....and the problem simply changes!

Commuting to work last Thursday, overtook a fellow roadie older than myself up a slight incline. I was out of breath and didn't know them from Adam, so no point in pleasantries. He then caught up and overtook, saying hello as he passed, still out of breath, I answered as best I could.

As he slowed down, I overtook again, and he then sat far too close to my back wheel for my liking. As he was so close and had overtaken me previously (or perhaps he would politely take his turn at the front) I kept a close eye on what he was doing.

As we eventually went our separate ways when he turned off. He shouted k**b ! as he went on his way.

What an unpleasant foul mouthed cyclist, no wonder we have a bad name

What's wrong with some folk ?
Why shout obscenities, rather than a thank you for the work I had done slipstreaming him ?

Some mothers do have them !
Any other tales of ignorance that people have had ?

redcard

Veteran
Some of these posts worry me a little, as they are based on assumptions that may not even be true.

Take all these stories with a pinch of salt. They're usually just an excuse for the OP to boast about being faster than someone over minor distance.
The other guy is always a dick or has an expensive bike. The OP is always the nice guy and correctly follows cycling etiquette at all times.

The sort of tales you used to read about on Snopes.

Take all these stories with a pinch of salt. They're usually just an excuse for the OP to boast about being faster than someone over minor distance.
The other guy is always a dick or has an expensive bike. The OP is always the nice guy and correctly follows cycling etiquette at all times.

The sort of tales you used to read about on Snopes.

Story or not, the attitude is simply wrong

Siegfried

so you speed up to catch someone who passes you, yet you accuse the other rider of acting as if he's in a race, then you call the other rider a knob before going on to moan about lack of politness

I expect there's a very good chance the other fella is writing about you somewhere for the same reasons you are complaining about him

sackville d

Veteran
Billy Connolly used to do a superb sketch about making up swearwords....
I always remember the chef in Fall and Rise of Reg Perrin coming out with "Up yer clunge!" one time.Stuck with me all these years......ah memories.:giggle:

Top Bottom