What's wrong with your bike right now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Follwing my off a few days ago I noticed a little bit of movement around the front wheel bearing or axle seemingly only on the brake disk side.. Taking the wheel out and spinning the axle in my fingers feels stiff and notchy and almost gritty, but no play that i can feel. Clearly needs a coat of looking at on my next day offf.

Tom B

Guru
Similar on mine lately - a couple of spokes had gone slack after a bit of truing, so the wheel deforms under load (you on it) and they rub against each other making a chink/chirp noise. Maybe worth pinging the spokes all round to see if some are a noticeably lower tone than the others. Took me ages to work it out.

Genius!

It turned out to be two issues, one was a warped disk ever so slightly contacting the pads. New disk fitted and a softer ching was heard and much less brake travel.

I then found a very slack spoke which after nipping up has completely stopped the noise, but has resulted in a wheel with a lot of wobble. I think all of the spokes could do with being a bit tighter. The OEM front seems a lot looser then the replacement rear that was built by a trusted experienced LBS.

Follwing my off a few days ago I noticed a little bit of movement around the front wheel bearing or axle seemingly only on the brake disk side.. Taking the wheel out and spinning the axle in my fingers feels stiff and notchy and almost gritty, but no play that i can feel. Clearly needs a coat of looking at on my next day offf.

Turned out that a bit of grass was wrapped around the axle, the greese had gone snotty and the bearings needed nipping up.

How much do folks pay for wheel truing ?

Last edited:

Bobin

Regular
Hi

I am currently restoring a Raleigh Roadster which has a Sturmey Archer , 3 speed gear and dynamo dated 1953 fitted in the rear wheel , the gears and dynamo are all in working order , all the spokes look in good condition but the rim is badly rusted and I have found a crack in the rim and there are probably more but I haven't bothered looking as I now know the rim is US .
So what are my options ?
Get a professional to rebuild it ,
Have a go myself ,
or find a replacement
This is my first attempt at restoration and new to cycling as an adult . Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated and any idea of costs .

Thanks Bob

Dan B

Disengaged member
Black bike : rear brake does not stop the wheel going round, needs rotor cleaned and pads changed
Red bike : just finished fitting new stem and BB, don't know of anything else that needs doing. Chain needs a mickle I expect
Yellow bike (parts bin special) : needs assembly then fit child seat
Blue bike : no idea, not ridden it yet this year

Dan B

Disengaged member
Hi

I am currently restoring a Raleigh Roadster which has a Sturmey Archer , 3 speed gear and dynamo dated 1953 fitted in the rear wheel , the gears and dynamo are all in working order , all the spokes look in good condition but the rim is badly rusted and I have found a crack in the rim and there are probably more but I haven't bothered looking as I now know the rim is US .
So what are my options ?
Get a professional to rebuild it ,
Have a go myself ,
or find a replacement
This is my first attempt at restoration and new to cycling as an adult . Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated and any idea of costs .

Thanks Bob
You might be better off asking this on a new thread in the Classic & vintage forum

Karlt

Road bikes - both in working order. Need a little adjustment on rear mudguard on commuting bike since taking wheel out and putting it back in, but is all. Did think cranks or BB on way out on commuting bike (steel) but removed and replaced non-drive crank and retightened and slight play is gone. Thought an issue with good bike clicking on granny chainwheel but it was just the pedal catching the end of the derailleur cable so fixed with a slight bend of cable end.

Mountain bike - broken rear axle (7 speed freewheel so no surprises there), new tyres waiting to go on. Awaiting new freewheel removal tool as can't get broken axle out with freewheel in situ.

Gert Lush

Gears need indexing again. I'll give it another go

A rear puncture on an Alfina 11 hub and yes I am still pondering on whether to chance getting a solid tyre for the rear wheel. I must admit the only thing that is putting me off at the moment is the fitting. I don't know if any of the local bike stores will supply and fit one and I don't want to do it myself.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Gears need indexing again. I'll give it another go
Yeah, mine too. Forgot about that.

Also: handlebars seem to be slightly loose in the stem, so pitches forward slightly over the course of a few miles. Bar end plugs fell out. (How do you keep bar end plugs in?)

Idoru

Yeah, mine too. Forgot about that.

Also: handlebars seem to be slightly loose in the stem, so pitches forward slightly over the course of a few miles. Bar end plugs fell out. (How do you keep bar end plugs in?)

Mine too, keep getting stuck on the big ring, almost blew a knee on a hill when an attempt to get to the small ring failed.

Top Bottom