What's wrong with your bike right now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Other than having a lazy engine (i.e. me), my favourite bike still needs a new wheelset. Rim line gone on front and rear has buckle that you can't fully true anymore (after a couple 100 miles it goes squiffy again).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Threadbare cloth bartape, kink in front rim, very worn chainring, nose of saddle broken off (got some Sugru for that), rusty SPDs.

Fixed it all! (except for rusty SPDs). I got my money's worth out of that chainring, it was like a ripsaw blade.

New chain and found a chainring in my bits box. Previous chainring was a 42 but for some reason I can't fathom I had a 41 tooth chainring stored away. 41 x 16 feels OK though.

Karlt

Commute bike - broken handlebars. Replacement on order.
Good bike - won't release onto inner ring; appears to be issue with shifter. Under warranty

Further update. Took seconds to fix once I spotted what it was. It was the brake lever (must have bent slightly when I crashed it some months ago) fouling the change up lever, which has to be able to move outside the line of the brake lever when the shifter's on the smallest ring.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
common to both bikes: super glue used to fill little holes in the tyres; some inner tubes need upgrading to decent vittoria ones

commute bike: back wheel bearings beginning to sound a bit noisy; brooks saddle rails squeak; some idiot got grubby hands on the fairly new deda bartape

best bike: surface rust on adjustment screws on campag rear mech, some idiot (see above) took a small chunk out of the bottom bracket while fitting a pedal, but has had a touch-up pencil limit the sartorial damage

Tom B

Guru
Front wheel is making an interesting chink chink noise every rotation, but only when i am on the bike, lift the wheel and spin it and it wont do it. The front disk is slightly warped and the brake has excess travel but that doesn't explain why it only does it loaded.

SKS mud guards need re-adjusting and fitting to the correct points. I threw them on 18 months ago and have never got around to fettling them!

I need to satisfy myself that i have got to the bottom of the front derailleur moving on the down tube (locktite on the clamp bolt).

I need to either fettle the rear mech not to dump my chain into the spokes (or refit one of them shitty plastic disks) and limit the bottom movement to stop it dumping the chain of the bottom sprocket.

I need to make a decision on buying new pedals or refurbishing my handmedown look keo pedals that crack loudly when standing up.

Wheels could do with truing.

Need to record all the serial numbers of the households bikes in-case of pilfery.

I need to finish flaging the rear garden so i can order the concrete for the bike shed base, then i need to order the bike shed, then assemble and pit in the lectrickery so SWMBO can have her conservatory bike repair shop back.

I need to finish off the bathroom fitting that I started in January and put the stair rail on. Decorate for SWMBOs sister and maintain MILs garden whilst they are cycling around Holland and Germany.

Oh and work.

Last edited:

philtalksbx

Über Member
interesting chink chink noise every rotation, but only when i am on the bike
Similar on mine lately - a couple of spokes had gone slack after a bit of truing, so the wheel deforms under load (you on it) and they rub against each other making a chink/chirp noise. Maybe worth pinging the spokes all round to see if some are a noticeably lower tone than the others. Took me ages to work it out.

hedder2212

Theres a horrible vibration coming from the rear of the bike, the tyre isn't rubbing on the frame. Got to figure it out quick.
Im hoping its just the fact its running off road tyres and im doing mostly tarmac but ive never experienced this type of vibration on any type of off road tyre before. Ill be swapping to slicks not this Friday but next hopefully.

Need new brake cables, theyre frayed at the ends and theyre old as hell. The brake pads were done before I was sold the bike but for some stupid reason they didn't spend £3 extra and have the brake cables done too.

Also wont shift into 7th on the rear mech. GRR.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
expecting my cyclescheme voucher to be paid tomorrow and then a sparkling new last year's model Equilibrium Disc 10 is being ordered by LBS, I dithered and am still dithering about scraping up an extra £500 for the 2016 Disc 20 but I think it's a lot of extra money for a commuter and the disc 10 will be more than nice enough

only had disc brakes once on a nice hybrid that got smashed to bit in a violent collision, but I like the idea of not worrying so much about brakes

Drago

Legendary Member
All are perfect, clean, oiled, running like clockwork.

Except for the Pace, which still needs wheels, brakes and handlebars though it is looking resplendent in its satin steel (with real flakes of stainless) powder coat. I may try and sneak them into the credit card soon ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Had to adjust high stop on the front mech as its started to dump the chain onto the crank now and again when moving to the big ring, the adjuster screw was at it minimum insertion.

toffee

Guru
It needs lube from being pissed on in great amounts yesterday and all the mud washing off it.

What was really annoying is that there was not one hint of rain in the weather forecast that I looked at yesterday.

Derek

Top Bottom