What's your agenda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My agenda is anti-compulsionist until such time as the technology can produce a helmet worthy of the name at which point they should be made compulsory for all road users, especially drivers.

1986498 said:
I propose that no one should be allowed to post in a helmet debate without clearly and honestly declaring their agenda on the subject here.
That's all, no follow up discussion, no arguing here, just a simple reference guide., a Who's Who as it were.

I find the helmet debate amusing. I have no strong view either way. I dip in for a giggle.

Most of my posts on these threads are ineffective, deeply puerile (and largely ignored) efforts to lampoon what can come across as dogmatic rigidity and borderline-absurd seriousness in some posts.

Although I occasionally attract hostility for my silliness on these threads, I note that they are dominated by only a handful of contributors who take them in any way seriously. I know very many cyclists, none of whom takes the helmet debate seriously. A few online posters with an axe to grind do not make a serious debate or a serious topic.

I think it would be a shame if helmet use were to become mandatory on a bicycle, but I would probably comply. At present I wear a helmet rarely; usually when I do it is as a sop to a caring family member.

I'm a reformed serial crasher of bicycles, but have yet to bump my head. I have lunched a couple of motorcycle helmets in high-speed dismounts, but the circumstances would be hard to reproduce on a bicycle. I have never worn a helmet in a car other than on a track or when sirens suggest imminent shelling or mortaring.

A keen cyclist for over forty years, the husband of an occasional cyclist and the father of three pretty keen cyclists, I rarely wear a helmet. Opinions within my family on the wisdom of helmet use vary.

As in all matters of opinion, I am right at all times. God will confirm this in writing.

Drago

Legendary Member
I wear a lid always, Every time. And gloves/mitts and eye protection. I insist my children wear bonce potties, though when they're adults that's their call. I have seen them save lives with my own eyes, so there's no hesitation when it comes to me donning the head-johnnie.

I have no agenda. I have no opinion over the desirability of legislation making it compulsory.

I have no opinion over whether anyone else wears a lid. That's up to them, not my problem.

Helmets should be mandatory when making statements like this in a place where the other half may see them!

A very reasonable point.

But my wife thinks me slightly odd for even looking at a cycling forum and even odder to exchange views with people I've never met.

She is wrong, of course.

I have no agenda. I have no opinion over the desirability of legislation making it compulsory.

I have no opinion over whether anyone else wears a lid. That's up to them, not my problem.

I tell you what is manadatory - me having to call 999 when i come across an unconscious helmetless cyclist with their brains leaking out.

Nothing like a bit of consistency.

Drago

Legendary Member
My conscience wouldn't let me walk on by, even if they chose not to wear a helmet? Surely that's applaudable? Would you rather I left them in the gutter?

I think people should wear them, but fundamentally couldn't care less if they didn't and wouldn't waste my breath trying to convert them. You want to risk your noggin - no skin off my nose. Wheres the inconsistency there?

1992470 said:
Common occurrence?

Twice. Once when I was on leave from the Army, would've been 23 or 24 years ago, in Milton Keynes. And once 5 or 6 years ago on the edge of Northampton. I kept the 2nd one going til Ambo got there and he did live, but he was off work for over 6 month due to the head injuries and ultimately lost his job. I still keep in cotnact with him occasionally via FB.

I remember the 2nd one well cos the Ambo crew stood on my Oakleys :sad:

A very reasonable point.

But my wife thinks me slightly odd for even looking at a cycling forum and even odder to exchange views with people I've never met.

She is wrong, of course.

I remember some years ago onteh Isle of Wight Randonnee a group of us from this (and other websites) agreed to meet up at the Pub by the Fishbourne ferry.... One guy was being given much grief by his kids for meeting up with strangers who were possibly perverts off the internet.

What astute children!

I tell you what is manadatory - me having to call 999 when i come across an unconscious helmetless cyclist with their brains leaking out.

Do you also object to calling 999 for the more common pedestrians and vehicle occupants... or do we not need to callall 999 when i come across an unconscious helmetless pedestrian with their brains leaking out.... is the injury somehow less sever, hurt less,os less traumatic, magically heals iteself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom