Whats your chainring size/s ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lay

Like i'm REAL specific on what ring size i use

42 / 53 - then a 23/21/19/18/17/16/15/14/13 (shimano)

I ask because some people ride, and I hate them: 50T chainrings (compact c.sets), admitedly, they're usefull for weekend cyclists imo...

If i get to really hilly/mountainous areas i will put a 39T on...

But this is the basis of my discussion;

I find, i can never get the same gear, generally, to ride about the same speed as people who ride them...

AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY...

OK - i know you can get similiar gear ratios etc etc ive heard that MANY times but theirs nothing like a 53 T for racing on..

I once bought a road bike that got me back into cycling and it was great a alu-framed Raleigh, big down tube, nice & stiff but the 1st thing to be changed, YES the chainset ! ;)

Thoughts........??????

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Cool story bro :whistle:

Ben M

I don't get your point. You are saying that when you are riding with someone with a compact, you can't match their speed? That's surprising, because your ratios are pretty close together.

Just vary your cadence, perhaps.

mattobrien

Guru
What really bugs me is people who ride doubles and then have 13t as their smallest cog on their cassette. It's only 4 revolutions of the wheel for one pedal stroke, where a compact with a 50-11 ratio will have 4.5 revolutions ^_^

I just find these folk too low geared to keep up with me when I am on the compact :laugh:

Don't get me started about when I am on 53-11 :whistle:

Mapster1989

Like i'm REAL specific on what ring size i use

42 / 53 - then a 23/21/19/18/17/16/15/14/13 (shimano)

I ask because some people ride, and I hate them: 50T chainrings (compact c.sets), admitedly, they're usefull for weekend cyclists imo...

If i get to really hilly/mountainous areas i will put a 39T on...

But this is the basis of my discussion;

I find, i can never get the same gear, generally, to ride about the same speed as people who ride them...

AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY...

OK - i know you can get similiar gear ratios etc etc ive heard that MANY times but theirs nothing like a 53 T for racing on..

I once bought a road bike that got me back into cycling and it was great a alu-framed Raleigh, big down tube, nice & stiff but the 1st thing to be changed, YES the chainset ! ;)

Thoughts........??????

I'll not ask you what you think about those who ride fixed... we'll be here all week!

Mapster1989

Or those of us who ride a triple:rolleyes:
Oooooo. If @lay had his way, that word would be censored on this forum.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My old Dawes was a 52/39 with a rear freewheel 5 speed 11-25... it was fine when I was 22. Now it has a 5-speed 12-32 cassette it's still not as low as I need to get up the Ryals without keeling over.

D

Deleted member 23692

Mines 50/39/30 with a 11-25t on the back.. I pity those who ride a 12t small cog :smile:

It's an outrage

Top Bottom