Whats your chainring size/s ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
ISO please
Put this way, if I replace the tyre I ask for a 27inch tyre.

I've a double/double setup on the front of my bent trike, double chainrings on a Schumpf High Speed Drive.
It works out to be 38/53/95/132.5.
A 20" ( 50-406) wheel on the back with a 21 tooth sprocket on the Rohloff.
I've ended up with 24 unique gears and a total range of just over 1800% .......... :eek:

Reactions: gaz

edindave

Über Member
Always liked the look of this...

9572990446_3907de452a.jpg

9572952908_829c070a25.jpg

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Whats going on..? People are getting rather snobby about 53T setups imo. Hear it a lot on Eurosport when MAMILs tweet the show, LOL.

I often ride 53/39T 12-25 on the racelight. On the Jake it was a triple 50/34/28T iirc... Never had a problem with speed or efficient power output on the Jake in the middle ring and often passed other riders. Spinning was winning....

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I ride a standard double but I had to change the rear cassette from an 11/25 to an 11/28 to give me SOME help up hills. A compact feels like riding my MTB.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What really bugs me is people who make such a big deal about cyclists using different gear ratios, and tag 50T chain ring users as "weekend cyclists" :rolleyes:. You use whatever's comfortable for you to use. Cadences vary a lot between cyclists, and so gear ratios vary accordingly.

D

Deleted member 1258

I do most of my riding on fixed, with brakes front and back, with a 46x18 68inch gear, I have a geared best bike with a 50/42 on the front and 12-27 on the back, I'm a commuter, a weekend cyclist and some times a club cyclist.

goody

Veteran
I've got compacts on both my road bikes and yes I am a weekend cyclist. This weekend I'm doing a 300K Audax and a couple of weekends ago I rode about 450 miles to Paris and back. Maybe I should man up and get a 'mansize 53-39' and for hilly rides put a mtb cassette on and hope no one notices because they're so impressed by the size of my huge ring.

Top Bottom