Whats your chainring size/s ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
My lowest gear on the Vivente tourer is 30 front 34 rear. But I've only ever used it at Mt Dandenong, about 15km from where I live, which has 2 roads with 28-30% grades :eek:.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Who cares? Just go and ride your bike
sZGyIYf.jpg

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I am the only one that has no idea how many teeth on either the front sprockets or rear cassette.

I just get on and push the peddles until I get to the speed I want, and if i get to a hill I peddle harder.

Perhaps I should count them so next time I am struggling up a hill I will know how many teeth I am actually struggling on.:ohmy:

sackville d

Veteran
On DA 7700 cranks I have TA chainrings 51/38 and 12/25 at the back.I like to think of it as semi semi compact.My hack has 53/39 and 11/23 and there is a compact lurking about but opportunity to get much use from it has been thin on the ground tho use of one has been a bit of an eyeopener:scratch:I must be just very easily pleased.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
just how fast would you need to spin on the flat just to stay upright! :laugh:
Sounds like a perfect gear for pootling with my kids, my subway has a triple with a large range on the back and if i ride anything more than the granny ring and a 30 on the back my 6 year old cant "win" the race ^_^

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have 50/39/28 on the front and 11 to 28 on the back. That's stretching the capacity of the Shimano 105 mech. but it seems to work OK. It isn't at all "hard" but it just about gets me up hills without walking.

on the road

Über Member
I ride a 53/39 on the front and 11-25 on the back, 39/25 is good enough to get me up most steep hills if slowly.

goody

Veteran
I tried Bushcombe Lane last Sunday, I was visiting the brother in law in Prestbury. Probably not best to try after two pints and no warm up but had to get off twice and walk, the steepest bits are over 20% and on one of the bends approx 30%. I've got 34-50 and 11-25. Now I've seen it I think I could probably do it on a good day. I can see why he had a triple on his last bike it's pretty hilly down there went out for a ride on Monday and climbed 10,005 feet.

mrBishboshed

Loving my compact with 28-12 rear cassette. Just right for someone new to road bikes wanting to build some fitness. And I've not had to walk up any of our puny hills in deepest darkest Essex. (Well not yet.)

Top Bottom