Whats your chainring size/s ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
It's hilly here. I have a 52/42 but am not man enough to ride it. So I'm getting a compact triple and (hopefully) riding more as a result.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
It's baloney about having better spacing on a double, because, according to wisdom, if you can be on the big ring, you should be on the big ring or you look weak.

Riding with the same gearing as a pro rider is just daft, like putting the engine from a Fiesta in a Ferrari and wondering why it feels funny.

If you're riding 53T with a 23 on the back, what's the point? Just suck it up and go compact.

Once you go compact, you'll never go back.

mustang1

Legendary Member
My allez has a triple 52-42-30 with 12-25 or 12-26 cassette (depends what the lbs has in stock). I don't ride this bike now since it needs a repair.

My supersix has a 50/34 and ... Can't recall what cassette, but I don't ride that bike eityer .

The mares CX bike has 50/34 up front and IFK what at the back, but I know its a 2012 tiagra 9 speed so maybe 12-25?

I didn't know if I would like a 50/34 setup since a 42 ring is my favourite, but I've grown to accept, and mildly like, it.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Sorry - what is a compact - don't laugh have no idea

If at least one person gets something from this inane thread, let it be you.

Your usual double chainring has two massive gears (usually something like 53/39) which are no use to a human when going up a hill. This arrangement also means that all the gears overlap, giving you only a tiny spread of useable gearing. A compact chainset has one fairly big gear (usually 50) and one much smaller (usually 34). This means you can still go fast on the flat, but you also have a chance of making it up a hill without giving yourself a prolapse.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Your usual double chainring has two massive gears (usually something like 53/39) which are no use to a human when going up a hill. This arrangement also means that all the gears overlap, giving you only a tiny spread of useable gearing. A compact chainset has one fairly big gear (usually 50) and one much smaller (usually 34). This means you can still go fast on the flat, but you also have a chance of making it up a hill without giving yourself a prolapse.

I must not be human then because I do just fine on a standard double without resorting to pie plate sized cassettes! You can call me the beast!

Last edited:

goody

Veteran
My supersix has a 50/34 and ... Can't recall what cassette, but I don't ride that bike eityer .
Can I have it?

Well I need all the help I get get to get up hills, being returned to cycling after 20 years , and retired early.
So 28 at the front and 30 at the back is my help. This is the toughest part I have climbed
970495.png

Top Bottom