Whats your chainring size/s ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recently switched my 53/39 for a 50/34 (before the Marmotte) & my 52/38 compact bike is rip and they cant be mixed (camp & shimano). I prefer the middle ground 38/52 but overall i dont find it makes much difference in a group, a 34/48 cyclocross has been fine or entire rides in the 38 or 39. Some of thestrongest riders I know ride compacts, fixies and full doubles, does it really matter :-/

50/39/28
11/28
Do I hear shocked silence?
As long as its on a bike, its perfectly fine by me ;-)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Mines 50/39/30 with a 11-25t on the back.. I pity those who ride a 12t small cog :smile:
Only 50? Pah.
53/40/28 and 11-34 on the tandem. I look down on those with only 2 chainrings - usually from the top of the hill we've just climbed.

Reactions: gaz

pauldavid

Veteran
Like i'm REAL specific on what ring size i use

42 / 53 - then a 23/21/19/18/17/16/15/14/13 (shimano)

I ask because some people ride, and I hate them: 50T chainrings (compact c.sets), admitedly, they're usefull for weekend cyclists imo...

If i get to really hilly/mountainous areas i will put a 39T on...

But this is the basis of my discussion;

I find, i can never get the same gear, generally, to ride about the same speed as people who ride them...

AND IT DRIVES ME CRAZY...

OK - i know you can get similiar gear ratios etc etc ive heard that MANY times but theirs nothing like a 53 T for racing on..

I once bought a road bike that got me back into cycling and it was great a alu-framed Raleigh, big down tube, nice & stiff but the 1st thing to be changed, YES the chainset ! ;)

Thoughts........??????

LIKE I''M REAL SPECIFIC ABOUT MY RING SIZE TOO!

For instance, about 6:05 this morning my ring was much bigger than I would ave liked it be. (Based on nothing but my pain threshold and experience I would suggest about 8 cm dilated)

All seems back to normal now but it's probably best to avoid trap 4 until about lunchtime.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I get very uncomfortable talking about ring size. Its a very personal issue, good luck to those wishing to discuss it, but l will keep that info to myself.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
On the Road bike :53/39 QRings with 11-28.....it's a bit lumpy round my way and I'm not a featherweight climber.
On the TT Bike: 53/38 QXL Rings with 12-25. (Sometimes change this to an 11-23 for flat TT's)
On the CX bike: 46/36 with 12-27

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
big-ring1.jpg

I win, you can close the thread now.

Milo

Guru
Yea it's a nice low gear to have. I ride a tourer though so it makes sense when laden can't say I ever really use that gear otherwise. I nearly put a 34t cassette on but don't think the derailleur could cope.

Top Bottom