What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I know what an audax is! but the initials SR were what threw me!

Not exactly welcoming to anyone new to Audax!!

SR=Super Randonneur. It's a badge thing you get from doing several audaxes of various different distances in a year. Offhand I can't remember the distances, but I think it involves some really long ones which puts it out of my reach.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Ah but you you don’t need to know what SR means to join audax as a newbie. It’s not part of an exam before you’re let in. But you will need to turn up at that hill on the next full moon.

Its worse than fell running with al bl ml etc .... !

Not saying what they are until you have run them!🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
SR=Super Randonneur. It's a badge thing you get from doing several audaxes of various different distances in a year. Offhand I can't remember the distances, but I think it involves some really long ones which puts it out of my reach.

Not really long ones, though you can substitute longer ones for any of the distances.

Jameshow

Veteran
Is felling running where you have an axe and have to chop down trees as you go?

Not enough coffee!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not really long ones, though you can substitute longer ones for any of the distances.

These things are all relative. I looked it up on the auk website It consists of the BR(M) series: 200 km, 300 km, 400 km, 600 km ( https://www.audax.uk/results/achievement-awards/randonneur-awards/ )

So from my point of view they range from "long", through "really long", to "you're kidding"

The next question is what does BR(M) mean. I think I know what it stands for - Brevet Randonneur (Mondiale) - but I have no idea what it means. If you check the auk website it is probably defined in terms of yet more TLAs. I think it's a "flavour" of audax that means the organisers have to do particular things to qualify.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Its worse than felling running with al bl ml etc .... !

Not saying what they are until you have run them!🤣🤣🤣
I appreciate this may not be a millennial thing, but the annual FRA Handbook offers very clear definitions. And why does the race category matter to the early punter? Felling running race details share distance and climb and the start will reveal the type of terrain, to inform the decision to enter. In the same way, knowing what an 'SR' is common knowledge once people have ridden randonnees longer than 200 (maybe that's a wrong assumption). Personally I just rode a 200, a 400 and a 600 in successive months and then realised I needed to ride a 300 to get my SR that first year; so I did.
Ah, but do fell runners have cool names like Ajax and Ming??
No. But in athletic endeavour, names matter not. Performance (position) in races matter (well to me they did - I am still using my fell running prizes from the 70s and 80s; I can see two right now!!). In audax, positions don't matter, so names matter more, perhaps (I am just dreaming up a few name options for you, in humorous spirit obv, but they don't flush down well.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
These things are all relative. I looked it up on the auk website It consists of the BR(M) series: 200 km, 300 km, 400 km, 600 km ( https://www.audax.uk/results/achievement-awards/randonneur-awards/ )

So from my point of view they range from "long", through "really long", to "you're kidding"

The next question is what does BR(M) mean. I think I know what it stands for - Brevet Randonneur (Mondiale) - but I have no idea what it means. If you check the auk website it is probably defined in terms of yet more TLAs. I think it's a "flavour" of audax that means the organisers have to do particular things to qualify.

BRM is defined by the rules: riding a set distance over a set route within time limits. It's a particular discipline within the broad range of cycling activities.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
BRM is defined by the rules: riding a set distance over a set route within time limits. It's a particular discipline within the broad range of cycling activities.

That sounds like ... er ... an audax (with possible arguments about what is meant by "set route". Are there audaxes that aren't BRM?

Top Bottom