What's your resting heart rate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
lukesdad said:
Right this is dragging on. The test Ive described is my general fitness test 12 times a year. (the last one done on Sunday Morning by the way.) It is the most accurate way I have found If you know different tell me and I will try it.

Yes - you've described a general fitness test - what's that got to do with what the original thread was about - i.e. resting heart rate? A resting heart rate on waking is something to be monitored on a regular - preferably daily - basis not a once a month fitness test. The rationale for daily monitoring is to develop an understanding of your specific trends - e.g. some women find rhr varies slightly during the month, others don't. But you can't get anything about this from a once a month measurement not matter how 'scientific'.

BTW if you're going to go to all this rigmarole, why not do a full ramp test and have done with it? That's generally reckoned to give the best overall assessment of developing/evolving fitness. When I used to train seriously, a ramp test to failure on calibrated equipment was an extremely good way to measure the benefits of different types of training - it was easy to see improvement in specific areas (e.g. efficiency at low HR%, variation in anaerobic threshold a la Conconi etc.) given that at the time we didn't have access to power meters on bikes on the road so lab testing was gold standard.

Bill Gates

Fiona N said:
Yes - you've described a general fitness test - what's that got to do with what the original thread was about - i.e. resting heart rate? A resting heart rate on waking is something to be monitored on a regular - preferably daily - basis not a once a month fitness test. The rationale for daily monitoring is to develop an understanding of your specific trends - e.g. some women find rhr varies slightly during the month, others don't. But you can't get anything about this from a once a month measurement not matter how 'scientific'.

BTW if you're going to go to all this rigmarole, why not do a full ramp test and have done with it? That's generally reckoned to give the best overall assessment of developing/evolving fitness. When I used to train seriously, a ramp test to failure on calibrated equipment was an extremely good way to measure the benefits of different types of training - it was easy to see improvement in specific areas (e.g. efficiency at low HR%, variation in anaerobic threshold a la Conconi etc.) given that at the time we didn't have access to power meters on bikes on the road so lab testing was gold standard.

I can't see the point of testing to see if your training is going well. If you're going to race then why would you want to interrupt your training schedule to find out something that a race is going to tell you anyway.

If you use races to hone fitness, which will happen automatically then provided you do the right things in training then your recovery and RHR will show if you're on the right track.

Tynan

Veteran
thanks to some postural something or other involving a weak heart chamber my resting heartbeat was measured by a nurse at 38 once

that's not a good thing I suspect

61bpm, and considering I'm 38 and it was as low as 48 bpm last year, I'm not happy. I am sat in front of a PC at work wearing heat-retaining flame-retardent overalls, and I feel overwarm, so that may be doing it (it's worth a try as an excuse anyway!). I haven't been on a bike since before Xmas due to wifey having been is hospital for an op and needing a lot of aftercare, so no cycle commutes for a while.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
64. I'm sitting at my PC, having had a coffee about an hour ago. Feeling like I am at a good level of fitness, certainly amongst the best I have been.

Which explains why I can't get below 27 minutes for my 7 mile commute, and 50 miles still seems like a very, very long way on a bike.

An hour later, and down to 60.

kewb

58 stting at pc ,had two coffees within an hour .

Top Bottom