What's your resting heart rate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Bill Gates said:
I don't even know where to start on this one. Now the whr has to be the same. Same as what exactly? and it's taken after 9 hours uninterrupted sleep on a sunny day. :ohmy:

So what if you take it in the winter like now? It doesn't get light until 7.30 so if you have to get up for work before 7.30 then you're stuffed until the weekend. and if it's cloudy at the weekend you're stuffed again. And if you wake up after 8 hours and not 9 hours then you're stuffed again.

It's all utter nonsense of course!

Its more accurate than anything you can come up with ,if thats anything other than insults.

doyler78

lukesdad said:
I didnt say he did. You and Mr gates need to practice your reading skills, and stop trying to make my words fit your agenda.

Try re-reading the bit about why heart rate monitor companies don't suggest your methodology. You specifically said "It will also make your training zone values lower. Therefore incorrect."

That says to me that you believe that your system can determine heart rate zones more precisley by using your methodology I presume a la Karvonen method where resting heart rate and maximum heart rate are used to define a working heart rate range to which training intensity can be ascribed.

I merely pointed how most of the most highly regarded coaches do not even consider resting heart rate however it is determined.

If that's not what you intended to say then I think you be better not to mix unrelated information into a debate about a specific point as otherwise it cannot be seen as anything other than being connected to it.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Its more accurate than anything you can come up with ,if thats anything other than insults.

If what you say is accurate then there should be something to refer to somewhere on the internet that will back it up. There is tons of stuff to support what the rest of us are saying.

I can't find anything that supports your theory. Please enlighten us.

doyler78

lukesdad said:
I was reffering to the earlier point about the term WHR and how Chris Charmichael and coined it.

Right I've done a bit of searching and Chris Carmichael does indeed use the term waking heart rate, I presume because he feel it more precisley describes what it is. Can't argue with that however I think you are reading too much into because resting heart rate and waking heart rate mean exactly the same thing to Chris Carmichael.

See here:
http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/carmichael-20080124.html

If he believed there was difference he would have defined his terms - he didn't and indeed the numbers he provides clearly indicate he is taking about heart rate upon waking.

lukesdad

Right this is dragging on. The test Ive described is my general fitness test 12 times a year. (the last one done on Sunday Morning by the way.) It is the most accurate way I have found If you know different tell me and I will try it.

I can t see why CCh would use two different terms to mean the same thing as I read it. He uses one as a tool for general RhR the other for immeadiate if you like WHR.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
lukesdad said:
There is nothing random about my test. It has to start with the same WHR after 9 hrs uninterupted sleep on a sunny day.( No stress levels) the same light b/fast 2hrs reading the exact turbo session 5 min shower 20mins lying down no variables.Whats random about that! Why bother with all that. Well firstly I only do it once a month. Its an accurate test of my fitness 12 times a year.

I appreciate your explanation. But perhaps this thread might not have dragged on for so long if you had enlightened us all earlier - given the paucity of online information regarding WHR as opposed to RHR. However, I am puzzled as to how you can replicate the same WHR - are you saying yours remains constant month on month?

Garz

Squat Member
doyler78 said:
Performance Coaches would strongly advise you to get a power meter.

They can shove that up their arse as far as im concerned. Its bad enough buying a HRM and other cycling gear than extra tools costing a fortune to give me another reading that top end athletes marginally benefit from. :evil:

lukesdad

As I see it from what you are saying. If you are taking your RHR as you wake then this I am supposing will vary so unless you are taking an average which again can vary week to week you dont have difinitive RHR am I wrong? With my test at least I do once a month.

doyler78

Garz said:
They can shove that up their arse as far as im concerned. Its bad enough buying a HRM and other cycling gear than extra tools costing a fortune to give me another reading that top end athletes marginally benefit from. :evil:

Mine's a powertap so the wheel might get in the road :evil:

Garz

Squat Member
I couldn't agree more with the poster whom said its a faff to get the gear on without actually raising the levels to make the test rather pointless.

From what I have read however it seems the consensus is that you take an average over the week of all your resting/waking/justgotupfromsleeping whatever you catagorise it and use that figure as the accurate RHR.

Not worth falling out over it on the forums however.. :evil:

lukesdad

youngoldbloke said:
I appreciate your explanation. But perhaps this thread might not have dragged on for so long if you had enlightened us all earlier - given the paucity of online information regarding WHR as opposed to RHR. However, I am puzzled as to how you can replicate the same WHR - are you saying yours remains constant month on month?

Your quite right. I have to pick the right day. Luckily I am a creature of habit and have 14 free days where I dont have to work. But I get one in a month.And I did try to enlighten earlier untill I got side swiped.

Bill Gates

youngoldbloke said:

lukesdad said:
Your quite right. I have to pick the right day. Luckily I am a creature of habit and have 14 free days where I dont have to work. But I get one in a month.And I did try to enlighten earlier untill I got side swiped.

OK I'll bite.

1) How do you know that your WHR is going to be the same as last time unless you take it before taking it? :evil:

2) If it is going to be the same then what is the point of taking it anyway?

3) This 14 free days. Is this your annual leave? or shift days off in a month or what?

4) Where is the internet reference that confirms your methods?

lukesdad

1. I dont know before hand so I cant predict the day I take it on but my WHR is vary rarely outside a 4 bpm band.
2. So you have a fixed starting point to conduct the test.
3. My job does not entail me to work on a fri sat sun or when the house is unoccupied.
4. Why do I need an internet ref. Its a simple test.

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
1. I dont know before hand so I cant predict the day I take it on but my WHR is vary rarely outside a 4 bpm band.
2. So you have a fixed starting point to conduct the test.
3. My job does not entail me to work on a fri sat sun or when the house is unoccupied.
4. Why do I need an internet ref. Its a simple test.

Ask silly questions and.............

Top Bottom