What's your resting heart rate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fiona N said:
Are we related ColinJ?
I only ask because I come from Huddersfield and you've described pretty accurately my HR at the moment (overweight, not fully fit) and when fully fit. HR max is pretty similar - 192 is the most I've seen this summer (on Kirkstone on a road bike) since the last 'proper' measurement (i.e. ramp test Spring 2007 when it was 198).

I'd only add that I was told, when I was in my mid 20's and my RHR was not much higher (28), that RHR increases with age, possibly because you can't get to the same level of cardio-fitness as you get older.
Not that I know of, but if you go back far enough then most humans are related, assuming that we all come from a few tribes!

I'd never thought about RHR naturally rising with age. Perhaps you are right. It is possible to remain very fit to a very old age, but even the fittest OAP is never going to be as fit as they were when they 20, unless of course they weren't fit then!

I'll be interested to see just how low I can get my RHR again.

lukesdad

porkypete said:
Isn't resting heart rate supposed to be taken lying down in bed, first thing in morning, before 1st cup of tea/coffee/cigarette/stimulant of your choice?

Dont confuse resting H/R with waking H/R they indicate 2 different things.

Stephen-D

Fiona N said:
Stephen-D
If you're measuring RHR, counting for a minute is usually better if your RHR is low, as an error of 1 bpm in 15 secs means an error of +/- 4 which is a lot if your RHR is in the 30-40 range.

This is really good, i done it a few times and got all the people in my team to do it and if we do it for 15 seconds ad times it by 4 it can give varying results so doing it over 60 seconds is probably best like you said!

Garz

Squat Member
The 15 second method was a rough indicator steve (quick and only have to waste a short time), if you want to be accurate then use a proper instrument, of course 60 seconds is more accurate as its beats per minute. ;)

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
measured it this morning on the exercise bike and it's 55. It freaked me out yesterday because after doing a load of exercise in the day I was struggling to get it under 75 a couple of hours later.

Garz

Squat Member
Yes I had the same experience riverman. This morning even when resting on the bed wouldn't drop below 53, just confirmed that I have a man cold though so will carry on testing.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
HR is very low but your BMI is quite high mate. Are you quite muscular?

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I took mine this morning using my garmin, it was 51 and so am I. It is usually about 48 when I'm training but haven't trained for quite some time and have just started back. Also recovering from an ankle injury and a bad, long, cough and cold. My recovery rate wasn't as good as it use to be but I've also put on weight. Time to change all that.

jimheaney57

Well this thread prompted me to get out my Polar HRM that I've had for some time and never taken out of the box.

Sitting her at the PC my RHR is at 48. Quite happy with that as this seems fairly low for a man of my age, 53.

I must remember to check it first thing in the morning before I get the first mug of caffeine in me.

montage

God Almighty
well, been off for 9ish months with crap knees, so up to 62 :S... rubbish!
Should have done more cross training/swimming. Didn't expect to lose that much fitness in that time, ah well.

Top Bottom