Whats your view...........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
@Cubist , the views look familiar, whereabouts are you?
Not far from you, Scapegoat Hill looking South towards Holme Moss and Marsden. The res you can see is Blackmoorfoot, with Deer Hill and Wessenden Head at the far right of the bottom snowy pic.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
View from the rear and front of the caravan.

20160405_172922[1].jpg
20160405_172911[1].jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
:laugh: to get to the top of the hill involves an even steeper climb that I have never attempted, I honestly don't think I would make it to the top.
Brookfoot Lane; https://www.strava.com/segments/864470
and the other approach would be Southowram Bank which is just as steep.
What do they call the cobbled/setted street at the top of Siddal that climbs up past the old works to the tops? Coalpit lane/Siddal Top Lane? I remember climbing that on a night MTB ride once, that's quite a tow on a mountain bike!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Not been round these parts in a while?
I walked Mixenden and Wheatley in 1989 and 1990 as foot beats. We had a small office in the housing office behind the shops in the middle of the village. Kali's off licence was star attraction..... I then moved back to Halifax Town Centre and worked there until 1996 when I was promoted and posted to Huddersfield.

Closest I've been in ages was to Cycle fast in Wheatley.... top wheelbuilder!!

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
What do they call the cobbled/setted street at the top of Siddal that climbs up past the old works to the tops? Coalpit lane/Siddal Top Lane? I remember climbing that on a night MTB ride once, that's quite a tow on a mountain bike!
That will be Whitegate, hell of a climb and only suited to mtb's .

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I walked Mixenden and Wheatley in 1989 and 1990 as foot beats. We had a small office in the housing office behind the shops in the middle of the village. Kali's off licence was star attraction..... I then moved back to Halifax Town Centre and worked there until 1996 when I was promoted and posted to Huddersfield.

Closest I've been in ages was to Cycle fast in Wheatley.... top wheelbuilder!!

You wouldn't recognise the area now, half of Mixenden has been demolished, it is now a "dry" village as all the pubs have shut down and Wheatley is pretty much all residential, no shops or business' to speak of all the boozers in that area have gone too.

Cubist

Still wavin'
You wouldn't recognise the area now, half of Mixenden has been demolished, it is now a "dry" village as all the pubs have shut down and Wheatley is pretty much all residential, no shops or business' to speak of all the boozers in that area have gone too.
Perhaps just as well. There was a pub next to the shops in the middle of the village. The landlord/manager simply upped and walked out so the brewery put in a caretaker manager from somewhere in Leeds. On his first night the locals came in and offered him their custom, and all was going well until he called time. The locals told him kindly that he was welcome to go to bed, and they would leave when they were ready, all he needed to do was leave the pumps switched on and they would help themselves. It appears he lacked the resolve to argue, and did just that. He rang us a couple of hours later once he had got his head round the issue. Mixenden in those days had several families with the reputation of being "fighting Irish". It was all a bit "frontier town" and they took a certain level of skilled communication to deal with. I eventually got them to see that the invitation from the landlord was very kind, but if they drank all his beer that night, what would be left for tomorrow?

classic33

Leg End Member
The landlord of the pub in the middle upped and popped his clogs during the night, heart attack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
now that is my idea of heaven, i would love to retire to a static caravan somewhere nice but SWMBO is having none of it.

There are a fair number of retired folk on our site that stay March to late December and then pop off somewhere sunny for a couple of months when the season closes. We have ours open March to October and are there most weekends. Great cycling round here too. That hill climbs 600 feet in 3 miles out towards Llanasa. The big windows overlook the hills.

20160405_194851[1].jpg

Top Bottom