Wheel Aesthetics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well im a ninja CC aesthete so no need to worry...get a few miles under your selected rims and just appreciate what you see...its beautiful
The gear just fades when you become at one with the bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Either black or silver are OK so long as they don't clash with the frame colour. What does look really tacky is deep section aero wheels plastered with big ugly logos.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Black rims=Black spokes in my book,
DSCN0056.JPG

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Woah there, no one is addressing the elephant in the room.....green and white frame is fair enough, but pink highlights? This sounds clashy mc-clashclash to me, and I'm struggling to reconcile that combo with the word aesthetics^_^. We need pics.

Is it a steel frame? Carbon? Chunky Alu? Are the rims deep or shallow? Carbon rims or alloy rims? Is the groupset silver or black or a mishmash? Are the wheels going to be used with disc brakes? If you are using disc brakes a black rim will stay all black but if you using rims brakes the brake track will likely be silver, or will end up silver after use unless you've got swanky ceramic coated rims. Answers to those would influence my decision.

I've got various combos, all black, black rims and black nipples with silver spokes and silver hubs, black rims with silver nipples and silver hubs, black hubs and black rims with silver spokes, some deep silver rims on silver hubs with silver spokes, and am just about to get a set built up with shallow silver rims, silver spokes and silver hubs, so that's most bases covered.

Personally for my steel bikes I think the best ones are all silver, followed by black rims and black hubs with silver spokes, followed by all black, followed by black rims and silver spokes and silver hubs, which though listed last here still look good. That order would switch around depending on which frame and groupset was used though. Without seeing the rest of your set up I couldn't say what would look better, if you have a steel bike I'd try and get some silver on it as they go well together, and if you have a modern carbon bike my hunch is all black, but lets call it a hunch black^_^

Last edited:
Check your socks. I bet they're odd.
I'll get the matching wheel soon, honest!
:biggrin:

OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

I have some red hubs with silver spokes and black rims ! so my opinion can be ignored.
Not to my taste...but as long as you like it, that's fine by me.
Actually I'm very disappointed that you've not invited discussion on the really important matters of spoke lacing pattern, butt lengths, spoke count and whether alu or brass nips.
Am often disappointing folk, apologies; however, all the other 'important matters' are either sorted or have no option. Will remember to ask your valued opinion on such matters when they next arise.
Nothing wrong with black rims/ silver hubs and spokes
Classy overall look, thanks.
As long as there's no logo or name on the rims anything goes.
+1.
Black rims and hubs, silver spokes and nipples look good
Can always rely on you for your good taste.
really tacky is deep section aero wheels plastered with big ugly logos.
This^^^.
Oh dear...currently, my rear wheel/spokes/hub are silver, and the front, all black
Oh dear indeed...but I'm sure you don't care, so that's fine.

OP
OP
Shadow

Shadow

Is it a steel frame? Carbon? Chunky Alu? Are the rims deep or shallow? Carbon rims or alloy rims? Is the groupset silver or black or a mishmash? Are the wheels going to be used with disc brakes?
Frame: alu. (not so chunky, not 70's slim); Rims: will be 24mm, alloy; Groupset: silver; Brakes: rim.

Surprised nobody else picked up on the pink! It is not clashy tho', pink and green works together and they are/will be minimal highlights only! No pics yet!

Obviously, you are person of pantone, so your 3rd paragraph is conclusive evidence that all combos work!

Top Bottom