Wheel axle cones - imperial or metric?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just re-greased the hub on my rear wheel and the cones are a bit, well, knackered. I just went to look for spares, and they seem to come in metric and imperial. Anyone have any idea what mine are likely to be? They're from an old Benotto wheel - mid-80s at a guess. The fact that they're Italian makes me think metric, but the age for some reason makes me think imperial. Anyone?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Which bit of the cone would be different by virtue of it being metric or imperial?
I've an unprovable suspicion that bearing surface shape is different per manufacturer...., but as it's a compound curve anyway it doesnt really matter whether your ruler is inches or mm ?

OTH.... the thread...... usually M10x1.0 (metric fine) on most rear hubs going back at least to 1980's Not sure if front are same.

Did work on one bike that had imperial threaded axles & cones but that was a BSA from late 40's /early 50's

tyred

Legendary Member
I would be more concerned about the taper on the bearing surface being the correct angle/shape. It's something you really need to take to a decent bike shop and ask them to find cones which match your existing ones. You can always change the axle as well if the threading is different.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks chaps. Hmmm, yes I was thinking about it again after I posted, and I'm pretty much with pp on the curve...I'm guessing the materic/imperial distinction is about the thread rather than the cone as such. I think a trip to the LBS might be called for.

02GF74

Über Member
I don't think cone shape is that much as concern providing the ball bearings are the same diameter.

the thread on the spindle is a mystery to me, it is a fine thread but I don't know more about that. I have a number of spare crappy axles and cones (I tend to hoard bits and pieces like an oversized squirrel) and they aren't interchangeable yet they are as near as dammit identical.

Top Bottom