Wheel Bearing Press kits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
I'm looking to change the bearings on my wheels, I'm comfortable with the process and even though a few you tube videos suggest that I can just tap the new bearings in with a hammer. I think I'd rather use a press kit and not risk any damage.

Found this one on amazon, price seems reasonable at £55. Otherwise I'd be looking at wiggles bearing press kit at c. $150. Which is quite a step up in price. Any ideas if the amazon tool will be good enough? I presume I will only use it on rare occasions - bearings seem to last quite a long time. Or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RETYLY-Bearing-Installation-Bicycle-Assembly/dp/B07WRFL752/ref=asc_df_B07WRFL752/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=430970730621&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12023174501975395057&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-911168363920&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=101191291678&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=430970730621&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12023174501975395057&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-911168363920

Reactions: C R

Big John

Guru
I guess it depends on the hub you're working on but I've changed worn sealed bearings on a fixed gear hub and just whacked the old ones out and tapped the new ones in using a piece of wood and a rubber mallet. I might think differently if I had some carbon all-singing-all-dancing wheels but I haven't. It's all down to personal choice and available funds I think. If you're a LBS it's a no brainer because the kit will get well used but since I retired I watch the pennies and there's a lot of bike bits I can get for £55.

Putting bearings in is the easy part. A decent size threaded bar, a couple of nuts and a pair of decent washers is all you need.
The hard part is getting the old bearings out. Usually you have to resort to btute force.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I guess it depends on the hub you're working on but I've changed worn sealed bearings on a fixed gear hub and just whacked the old ones out and tapped the new ones in using a piece of wood and a rubber mallet.

I did my fixed a while ago. I think I pushed them in by roughly seating the new bearings, fitting the old bearings over the axle, and then using the wheel nuts to press the new ones home with the old ones.

si_c

Guru
I'd avoid that advert from Amazon, it's one of those items which is increasingly sold on amazon with a junk brand that is just made up letters and then will disappear from view once the container of product has been sold.

They seemingly make up the bulk of products advertised through amazon's marketplace and have no attempt to build up a brand history but rather to sell items to consumers who are only concerned with the lowest price and less interested in a quality product. It's getting to the point where Amazon is becoming unusable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got a kit from amazon which is the 'washers' and not the press as many bearings are quite small, so bought threaded bar, and for the smaller bearings, long bolts. All the washers are alloy and there is a great selection of sizes.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
I'd avoid that advert from Amazon, it's one of those items which is increasingly sold on amazon with a junk brand that is just made up letters and then will disappear from view once the container of product has been sold.

They seemingly make up the bulk of products advertised through amazon's marketplace and have no attempt to build up a brand history but rather to sell items to consumers who are only concerned with the lowest price and less interested in a quality product. It's getting to the point where Amazon is becoming unusable.

I do see that on amazon actually. I think i will avoid and go with Sea of Vapours suggestion and use the bearings pro tools web site instead.

Thanks for all the input guys!

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
So I popped the axel out today just to get my finger on the bearing while still in the hub and feel how bad they are... and turns out they feel really smooth!

I've been getting scraping noises while the front wheel spins, sometimes its gets loud and sometimes its barely noticeable. So I just presumed new bearings needed. The wheelset is about 8 years old with around 10k miles according to strava. I gave everything a bit of a wipe down and applied a little grease around the contact points between axel and bearings and treads, and re assembled it all. I noticed if I applied too much pre load on the hub I got a little noise. So maybe it was too tight to start with?!

I'll see how it goes over the next few rides, maybe I can get away without buying the bearings and press tools after all. It looked like sealed bearing in there, so I presume the seal is still working fine and we haven't reached the end of its useful life yet?! Have I been lucky or is 8 yrs / 10k miles still well within the expected life of sealed bearings?

Thanks

Top Bottom