Wheel build disaster!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Were the spokes twisted wound up. Did you grab handfulls of spoke and squeeze them to relieve stress? Yours and the wheel!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Spontaneously pringling is a symptom of an over tensioned wheel - i.e. spokes too tight.
If you can catch it just starting, when removing a slight wobble results in a bigger wobble a bit further round the wheel, you can recover by backing off all the spokes half a turn or so, but if the wheel pringles properly, it's slack right off, check the rim is still straight, and start again.
Old rims like the Module 3 aren't as stiff as modern rims, so they pringle at a lower tension.

Whacking the wheel on the road to knock out a pringle is what you do when the wheel has been pringled by a sideways force on the rim, in a crash or whatever. It won't solve too much spoke tension.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Spontaneously pringling is a symptom of an over tensioned wheel - i.e. spokes too tight.
If you can catch it just starting, when removing a slight wobble results in a bigger wobble a bit further round the wheel, you can recover by backing off all the spokes half a turn or so, but if the wheel pringles properly, it's slack right off, check the rim is still straight, and start again.
Old rims like the Module 3 aren't as stiff as modern rims, so they pringle at a lower tension.

Whacking the wheel on the road to knock out a pringle is what you do when the wheel has been pringled by a sideways force on the rim, in a crash or whatever. It won't solve too much spoke tension.
The forum members wheel in question had indeed suffered an impact of a tree variety and the other forum member who was using the brute force technique referred to @dan_bo was resolving said impact pringle issue. :whistle:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just dismantled this poor wheel and glad to say rim has sprung back to shape as far as I can tell by laying it on my wife's granite kitchen worktops (It's ok, she's out :laugh:). Doubt I will have chance to try again now until after weekend as I am already behind in my chores so it could be next week before I attempt it again.

Just to re-cap the points made. It seems the general concensus is that the spoke tension was too high? I find this hard to accept because I know I have gone silly tight on wheel builds in the past and never experienced this before. However, in the absence of any other suggestions I will stop the tensioning a bit sooner in the next build.....

Top Bottom