Wheel building ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hiya, I’ve booked myself on a wheel building course , not to say I’ll be the dogs BX at it at the end of the day , but it’s worth the cost to me (75 sobs) to gain the fundamentals of this skill , the courses are run with connection to the LCC so I’m not guessing the that the tutor will be top shelf , if anyone else in West London is interested there may be a few places still available , look for London Bike Hub on the web ,

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Once you have done the course you could do much worse than dismantling an old wheel and trying to rebuild it. I self-taught the skill as a teenager swapping bits from various broken wheels to make a useable one as I was too poor to buy new ones... :laugh:

Tilley

Über Member
Once you have done the course you could do much worse than dismantling an old wheel and trying to rebuild it. I self-taught the skill as a teenager swapping bits from various broken wheels to make a useable one as I was too poor to buy new ones... :laugh:
I did exactly the same in my youth and was very proud with what I achieved but my memory of it is that it took an age and I learnt by going up some blind alleys. So I can see why you would want to know how to do it correctly first off if you can afford to.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to swop worn out mountain bike rims for new and recently I beat Mavic's planned obsolescence by finding a new Ksyrium rim and spokes and rebuilding my rear wheel. I guess that won't be happening much now thanks to disc brakes.

It's a great skill to learn, and certainly not a black art to be feared. I've built around a dozen so far, and re-dished and tweaked many others. I followed a tutorial over on Atomic Zombie: https://www.atomiczombie.com/tutorial-3-cross-wheel-lacing/

For spoke length I use this one: https://www.sapim.be/spoke-calculator

First wheel build takes a fair bit of concentration, did mine in stages with a good long break in between to recharge the noggin. Good luck with it all.......:okay:

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
It's a great skill to learn, and certainly not a black art to be feared. I've built around a dozen so far, and re-dished and tweaked many others. I followed a tutorial over on Atomic Zombie: https://www.atomiczombie.com/tutorial-3-cross-wheel-lacing/

For spoke length I use this one: https://www.sapim.be/spoke-calculator

First wheel build takes a fair bit of concentration, did mine in stages with a good long break in between to recharge the noggin. Good luck with it all.......:okay:
Thanks for those links , very handy ! 😉

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for those links , very handy ! 😉

Agree I’ve bookmarked them both

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Whilst wandering round Oxford Street, or it may have been Tottenham Court Road one evening in 1991 after dropping Mrs SJ and niece of at a ballet at the Sadler's Wells (Not my style, know what I mean?) I came across this magazine in a shop -

Within a fortnight I was riding round on a pair of sprints I'd built myself and never looked back. Wheel building is a skill worth having. And as all can see, I still have that very magazine.

Whilst wandering round Oxford Street, or it may have been Tottenham Court Road one evening in 1991 after dropping Mrs SJ and niece of at a ballet at the Sadler's Wells (Not my style, know what I mean?) I came across this magazine in a shop -

View attachment 501050

Within a fortnight I was riding round on a pair of sprints I'd built myself and never looked back. Wheel building is a skill worth having. And as all can see, I still have that very magazine.
I trust you ignored the implied advice to wear your best white turtleneck when bike fettling.

All uphill

Still rolling along

View attachment 501050

And those tips in the magazine to delay aging. Do they work?

I'm a bit peeved I missed that vital information. Too late for me now.

I'm still admiring the superfluously inserted alibi to remove the slightest possibility that while family were safely balleted, he went exploring a pre cleaned Soho.

Top Bottom