Wheel deflection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This might be one of those really stupid questions, but bear with me...

My rear wheel deflects by about 1-2mm when I wiggle it at the rim. For obvious reasons this is most noticeable near the brakes (because I've got something to visually measure the deflection against).

I've had trouble with this wheel and it's been stripped several times recently. I tightened up the non-driveside cone but the deflection is still there. I've wiggled the rear wheels on my other two bikes (one with Mavis Ksyrium Elite wheel, never had the hubs touched, ever) and they also deflect.

I've never noticed this before, is it normal or have all of my rear wheels suddenly turned into cheese? ;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's a normal side effect of wearing rubber shorts. The bearings have been affected by electrostatic discharge. And you've magnetised the spokes.

*chortles*

Radius

SHREDDER
i suddenly noticed the same thing on my hybrid (to a fairly large extent as well), just tightened it, and at first too much (the wheel wouldn't spin), then released, but it doesn't seem like that's working for you...

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Radius said:
i suddenly noticed the same thing on my hybrid (to a fairly large extent as well), just tightened it, and at first too much (the wheel wouldn't spin), then released, but it doesn't seem like that's working for you...
<ignores Doctor>
I tightened up the bearings and there was no play at the axle at all. It all felt nice and smooth with no looseness. But at the rim...1-2mm lateral wiggle. I'm worried now that:-
a) The wheels on all of my bikes are sh&gged
:smile: If I ride them like this I'm going to wreck something expensive

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I can't believe all the wheels you have are knacked. I've just been and wiggled my wheels (oo-er!) and I get a wee bit of deflection at the rim - some a bit more than others, but all have a bit. I think you can safely ride to work without risking apocolyptic calamity.

kyuss

Veteran
Every wheel I've ever owned has had a least a little bit of movement at the rim, one pair had about 5 or 6mm, a side effect of light rims and low spoke count I reckon. That's why it's never a good idea to check for bearing play at the rim. If the spokes are nice and tight, the wheel is true and there's no play at the hub then don't worry about it. I reckon it's perfectly normal.

jimboalee

1 - 2 mm isn't a lot.

Although a bike wheel is pretty damned strong for its weight ( 3 cheers for the chap who invented 3 cross lacing ), it will deflect laterally.

A wheel laced in the lower end of the tension range - like the ones I prefer - will deflect 3 -4 mm.

But, that is nothing compared with frame flex.
Stand beside your bike and lean your foot against the B/B, see how it moves :smile:

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Ta all. I'm feeling slightly reassured now although I can't believe I haven't noticed it before....

jayce

i had the same thing i took mine to the lbs and he said it was fine as long as the axel didnt have any play so dont worry about it

e-rider

crappy member
A common issue with modern factory built wheels with low spoke counts, lightweight rims and radial lacing etc.

I've recently returned to decent high quality handbuilt wheels with 36 spokes and all my problems have been solved.

Fewer spokes isn't always better - but that's the fashion at the moment and the smart marketing makes you think that it's an up-grade over wheels with more spokes, however, there are many advantages to having more spokes and very few disadvantages!

Even aerodynamics are insignificant below 30mph and not many of us spend a lot of time riding at that speed! And as for weight, wheels with only 20 spokes or so, require the spokes to carry a greater load and are therefore thicker and stronger and as a result, there is no weight saving.

e-rider

crappy member
depends how you define sturdy - if you have rim flex then they're clearly not sturdy.

either the rim isn't very strong, or the build isn't up to much

Top Bottom