Wheel deflection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
tundragumski said:
depends how you define sturdy - if you have rim flex then they're clearly not sturdy.

either the rim isn't very strong, or the build isn't up to much
It's a Rigida Chrina rim built up by Spa Cycles. It's had a hard life though, with me aboard for the last 3 years, so maybe I should stick on the jig and tighten up the nipples. Is that a good idea or a recipe for disaster?

Chris James

Über Member
All wheels flex a bit, it depends on how hard you push them!

If the wheels feel okay when riding and if they don't rub badly on the brake blocks if you get out of the saddle then I would leave well alone.

02GF74

Über Member
Chuffy said:
My rear wheel deflects by about 1-2mm when I wiggle it at the rim. For obvious reasons this is most noticeable near the brakes (because I've got something to visually measure the deflection against).

is this per side or total?

I will check my wheels but I am pretty sure it is much less than that...... watch this space. I'd be surprised on a proper adjsut wheel with good bearings/cone it is more than 1 mm total.

e-rider

crappy member
If you're going to attempt to re-tension the spokes on an old wheel it could be difficult. When the wheel was first built, the nipples would have had oil, linseed oil, spoke prep. or something similar applied to enable the builder to get a decent amount of tension in the spokes. Spoke prep. and linseed oil will harden when dry stopping the spoke nipples from moving easily - this will make re-tensioning after 3+ years difficult. The only decent option would be to completely rebuild it, possibly using new spokes and nipples.

I would leave them alone if you can still use them as they are.

brodie

Does the 'deflection' click or is it springy? If it clicks when you wiggle the rim, then it's most probably play at the hub. If it's cup and cone bearing, you should adjust it. I'm not sure what you can do if it has cartridge bearings, although apparently some hubs with cartridge bearings are suppose to have a slight bit of play. If it's springy, then that's just normal movement, wheels are not completely rigid.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
brodie said:
Does the 'deflection' click or is it springy? If it clicks when you wiggle the rim, then it's most probably play at the hub. If it's cup and cone bearing, you should adjust it. I'm not sure what you can do if it has cartridge bearings, although apparently some hubs with cartridge bearings are suppose to have a slight bit of play. If it's springy, then that's just normal movement, wheels are not completely rigid.
It's definitely clicky and not just wheel spring. I'm not putting that much force on the wheel to make it move.

It feels ok when I ride, no rubbing on the blocks or any odd wobbling vibrations. I think I'll have another bash at the bearings and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers all. ;)

Top Bottom