wheel overhaul.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lip03

Über Member
hey i have a 70's road bike and the wheels and tyres are in pretty good nick other than a slight wabble on the rear thats due to loose cones (witch i found out on here) as i have a small budget and lots of time i want to spray the rims just to neaten them up until i can afford a set of 700's any ideas?? :biggrin: i.e type of paint, technique??

I'd just give them a polish

painting needs prep to the surface etc etc if the paint is to stick properly.

What are they - steel or aluminium?

PpPete

Legendary Member
You don't want paint on the braking track - and probably want to mask off the spokes too, otherwise it will look pants.
Just give them a rub over with a scotchbrite pad or a nylon scouring pad (like you'd use to clean a saucepan)

tyred

Legendary Member
Rusty chrome rims? Unless they look like they've spent 30 years at the bottom of the Atlantic and are of reasonable qualtiy, they will clean up better than you think with some elbow grease. Fine wire wool, or as suggested, a scouring pad (nothing too coarse, you don't want to remove all the chrome) and then Brasso, Duraglitz, Autosol or similar to polish to a shine. Perhaps a coat of Hammerite Kurust or Jenolite (available from most motorfactors) to kill any remaining rust before a final polish.

Highly polished chrome rims are a thing of beauty IMO but don't expect to stop any time soon if it's raining. Leather brake pads, or hard rubber can help. They do have one advantage in that they don't collect black gunge over the winter so you can fix a puncture at the roadside without getting your hands filthy. Brake pads will also last a lifetime.

Top Bottom