Wheel quick release issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hi,

I noticed something strange the other day while cleaning my bike. When the front wheel quick release is locked into place I could put force on the lever and it would spin and turn while still in the locked/closed position.

So I loosened it off to check that I had tighten it up properly, which it was but just in case I turned the nut a little more to make it a touch tighter. Closing down the lever now for second time it was much tighter than usual for me to close, so I can say it is properly closed now. Again I put some pressure on the lever while in the closed position and it did slip and turn again. I checked the rear wheel and I couldn't get that one to slip / turn when locked in place, it was solid.

I went out for a ride last night and did a fairly fast 30km to try put some load into the wheel, everything seemed fine out on the road and when getting back the wheel still seems correctly in place and hadn't moved. However I'm still worried that the QR is turning when locked into the fork.

Any ideas whats going on? Have I ruined the drop outs on the fork?

Thanks in advance!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi,

I noticed something strange the other day while cleaning my bike. When the front wheel quick release is locked into place I could put force on the lever and it would spin and turn while still in the locked/closed position.

So I loosened it off to check that I had tighten it up properly, which it was but just in case I turned the nut a little more to make it a touch tighter. Closing down the lever now for second time it was much tighter than usual for me to close, so I can say it is properly closed now. Again I put some pressure on the lever while in the closed position and it did slip and turn again. I checked the rear wheel and I couldn't get that one to slip / turn when locked in place, it was solid.

I went out for a ride last night and did a fairly fast 30km to try put some load into the wheel, everything seemed fine out on the road and when getting back the wheel still seems correctly in place and hadn't moved. However I'm still worried that the QR is turning when locked into the fork.

Any ideas whats going on? Have I ruined the drop outs on the fork?

Thanks in advance!
Are the dropouts too thin for the length of the hollow axle so the skewer is tightening onto them instead ?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Not sure I understand to be honest, its the same wheelset and skewers that came with the bike.

When you say hollow axel what do you mean exactly?

What make are the quick release; usual advice is swap them out and get some Shimano ones and all your quick release problems will be solved.

Do those springs actually do anything ? I've never thought they did. I'm sure some of mine must be the wrong way on but never had the issue that the OP describes.

Reactions: C R

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Do those springs actually do anything ? I've never thought they did. I'm sure some of mine must be the wrong way on but never had the issue that the OP describes.
Yep they centralise the skewer when you release it so both sides move apart equally, more useful on front wheels where the fork may have 'lawyers lips' to prevent disc brakes from ejecting the wheel when braking.

View: https://youtu.be/x-31b_mbXnU

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Thanks for the responses. The skewers are unbranded, i can't see any branding printed on them at least. I have a set of Mavic skewers somewhere I will dig them out and give it a try.

I was worried i might have damaged the dropouts, hopefully better quality skewers will resolve it.

Thanks

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Quick update - I swopped the QR's for the Mavic ones I had and they close and stay in place perfectly.

I didn't use these mavic ones on another bike because they where pretty big and ugly, but I'm so glad i kept them now.

Once again thanks for all your help!

Top Bottom