Wheel refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Looking at a bike on the weekend, its used and cheap to get me started.
Ive noticed the wheels are abit tatty, im not sure what its called so ive attached a pic and just wondering if you can buy it, looks like a sticker that runs around the rim? Screenshot_20190124-074323_Facebook.jpg

gazza1286

Looks like an Alexrim?

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s just cosmetic, a good clean would help. Assuming the bike has rim brakes not discs, it’s the condition of the silver braking surface that’s important

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The braking surface looks fine but the brake pads look as though they need adjusting up towards the tyre so they contact the rim central on that braking surface, brake pads should not come in contact with the black painted rim, that's what looks to have happened.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
They cleaned up ok in the end.

Its got grease all over the frame thats hard to get off with just water, any ideas guys?

straas

Matt
I used to use washing up liquid - it's really no comparison with a good degreaser, the muc off yellow stuff really is brilliant.

screenman

Legendary Member
Muc-off around £8+ a litre, TFR £12 to £15 for 25 litre, somebody is having a laugh. TFR works fine mixed at 5 parts water to 1 part TFR for heavy stuff, 10x water for lighter.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
A somewhat lukewarm (npi) recommendation for TFR:

Must admit that for the first few seconds of the video, I was scratching my head wondering what language it was in. :laugh:

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Are there any wheels that wold be a good replacement for the standard ones, to loose a little weight?
Thinking of upgrading a few parts over the next year

Top Bottom