Wheel refurb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Are there any wheels that wold be a good replacement for the standard ones, to loose a little weight?
Thinking of upgrading a few parts over the next year
Yes, lots.
The OP doesn't share what "the standard ones" are, but the wheels need to be the same diameter and have the same OLN (hub width). There will something like 622-15 on the rims (the '15' is the inner width of the rim). The OP doesn't say whether they've got lots of frame clearance or not: if they have then 17 gives more flexibility on tyres.
What is the frame? Why is the OP aiming "to loose(sic) a little weight"? How many grams have they lost from their body mass since Christmas? Saving weight on wheels should not be a significant factor when choosing new(er) wheels. Better hubs, decent double butted spokes (in sufficient number) and brass nipples are much more important. Colour coordination between the rims and the spokes is a factor only to be sniffed at through one nostril. ;)
The OP would likely get the best bang for their 'upgrade' buck by fitting better tyres: though we don't know what they have fitted now. Oh, and good brake blocks.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Hi yes i didnt state much in the op.

Ive changed tyres already my current wheels can take from 28c to 42c
Ive put 32c duranos on

Was thinking of putting shimano deore leavers and brakes on too

Frame 6061-T6 heat treated aluminium, double + triple butted tubes
Fork Steel steerer and blades
Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney TY500
Rear Derailleur Shimano Tourney TY500
Number of Gears 21
Shifters Shimano Tourney Ez-Fire EF41
Chain set Shimano TY301 42/34/24T
Bottom Bracket Square taper, 68mm shell, english thread
Cassette Shimano HG20 12-32T
Chain KMC Z51
Pedals Supplied
Brakeset Tektro v-brake 837AL
Brake Levers Tektro 2 finger
Handlebar Pinnacle 6061 DB aluminium flat bar, S/M/L - 660mm, XL - 680mm
Stem Pinnacle ahead stem S/M - 75mm, L/XL 90mm, 7 degrees
Headset FSA IS3, semi-integrated for 1 1/8" 41mm ID headtube
Grips Super-soft kraton rubber
Rims Aluminium double walled 32H
Hubs Aluminium, sealed loose ball, with allen key security skewer
Tyres Continental Sport Contact II, 42c
Tubes Presta Valve
Saddle Pinnacle Sport Mens
Seatpost Pinnacle aluminium 350mm x 27.2mm
Weight 11.2kg (Medium size

Thats the full spec, I'm thinking I would like to just use this as a little project bike and upgrade a few bits not necessarily to lose weight orthough that would be nice.
I'm thinking that I'd like to stick a carbon fork on it to

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
I wouldn't throw too much money at a low budget bike like that one. Fancy wheels? You could probably spend as much as the whole bike cost on a set of wheels, just to save a bit of weight. If you want to go faster, change the tyres - duranos are heavy slow tyres, you could swap them for 28mm tyres with a higher TPI carcass - something like rubino pro, michelin pro4 or conti gps - less puncture resistant, but lighter and better rolling than duranos, and much better value than spendy wheels.

vickster

Legendary Member
A carbon fork would save some weight if you can find one to fit and think it's actually worthwhile as the bike is entry level as above

Ajax Bay

Guru
OP still doesn't share what size wheels these are, 26" or 622 diameter. But since they already have 32s on, I note that the new Continental GP5000s are manufactured in 32-622 and are light (could use latex inners) or maybe the rims are tubeless ready in which case 5000TL.
How much 'better' does the OP think Deore brakes and levers will be than the 'as sold' Tektro items?
Replacement carbon fork. Replacement wheels. Don't waste your time and money.
Thinking of upgrading a few parts over the next year
Ride up grades. Stick Hill would be nice in this sunshine.

Top Bottom