Wheel set upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Are you proclaiming that anything you have said is "of value". How vain.

I am neither stating that it made a difference or not but I don't have the arrogance to presume my opinions are gospel.

Where have I said mine are gospel? Science isn't gospel - it's there to be disproved. If you disagree, all you have to do is explain why. So far, all you have done is made personal attacks.

cashy293

I was always taught never to argue something that you know nothing about, which in this discussion includes the chemical properties of said chain lubricant, rolling resistance of a wheel or the effects of worn wheel bearings so I'd say that I neither agree nor disagree with any of the points made.

If you read my messages as personal attacks, I profusely apologise. Perhaps a discussion forum is not the place for you if you are so sensitive?

bpsmith

Veteran
I totally understand that my chain made the bike feel more responsive. I never said it gave me more power, as you suggest!

There is no proof required for my feeling @Citius.

You have never said what you ride btw? That would be interesting to know, to put your attitude towards upgrades into some perspective?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I totally understand that my chain made the bike feel more responsive. I never said it gave me more power, as you suggest!

There is no proof required for my feeling @Citius.

You have never said what you ride btw? That would be interesting to know, to put your attitude towards upgrades into some perspective?
A scooter :smile:

Ignoring the time difference which you mention, and ignoring slightly different routes.

On your first ride, the 16th April.
Climbing average: 18.4mph for 4:28
Flat average: 20.6mph for 23:37
Descent average: 21.3mph for 3:54

On the second ride, 28th May.
Climbing average: 17.6mph for 8:19
Flat average: 21mph for 33:59
Descent average: 19.6mph for 7:18

So any weight benefits are actually only giving you a gain of 0.4mph (assuming identical weather and wind conditions, clothing and same power through the pedals)

For lighter weight wheels, the common claim is better for climbing, yet you're almost 1mph slower on climbs, but you are climbing for longer, so may not be able to sustain the effort.

More aerodynamic wheels should improve much more at higher speeds, yet although you were going downhill for nearly twice the amount of time, you're 1.7mph slower with your aerodynamic wheels.

So, although far, far too many variables to say anything conclusive, there's very little there that corresponds to any of the popular theories of performance benefits from wheels, and even if there was, you would need more than 45 minute time to see any measurable difference. So there's nothing there that supports the wheel being the key factor in any performance improvement.

cashy293

There's the difference then. I was always taught not to accept anything at face value and to question everything if you don't, at first, understand it.

Understanding the chemical composition of a chain lubricant is not something that I am particularly interested in at the moment but if that is what floats your boat, crack on my learned friend!

No i form my own opinions of people and my observation is that their posts occassions are unwarranted

Also at @Citius you post nothing of scientific eveidence, but only to agree with everything that yellow saddle copies and pastes from google searches, as i very much doubt he has researched and done any of the scientific evidence he talks about.

But if thats how you want to roll, crack on fella cause i aint interested in your thoughts and opinions cause quite frankly they bore the hell out of me
Jowwy, you are really a very grumpy guy with your ad hominem tactics and all. I challenge you to find anything that I've posted on Google. You are of course welcome to think that I cannot do basic science but accusing me of plagiarism is another matter altogether.

Until you prove I have copied someone else's work, you remain a grumpy liar.

cashy293

No i form my own opinions of people and my observation is that their posts occassions are unwarranted

Also at @Citius you post nothing of scientific eveidence, but only to agree with everything that yellow saddle copies and pastes from google searches, as i very much doubt he has researched and done any of the scientific evidence he talks about.

But if thats how you want to roll, crack on fella cause i aint interested in your thoughts and opinions cause quite frankly they bore the hell out of me

No there is a statement(s) that I agree with!!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Jowwy, you are really a very grumpy guy with your ad hominem tactics and all. I challenge you to find anything that I've posted on Google. You are of course welcome to think that I cannot do basic science but accusing me of plagiarism is another matter altogether.

Until you prove I have copied someone else's work, you remain a grumpy liar.
:okay:

How does anything not perform so well when it wears? I am surprised by you particularly asking this question. You seem to have all the answers most of the time...

My bike felt more responsive when pedaling with the new chain than the old chain, over the same roads as I always cycle on with the same varying conditions. Why do you need some form of measurement for absolutely everything?

Ok, my grin went from the usual smirk at about 62.4mm wide to a rather amusing grin at 78.8mm wide. That's a 26.28% increase. :smile:

Anything is not everything. A chain's frictional losses come from articulation as it enters the sprocket and starts to wrap. This friction is from side plates that slide against each other and rivets and bushes that move against each other under tension. As the chain wears, the sideplates become looser and thus produce less friction. The friction in the rivets and pins reduce very quickly just after the first few revolutions and then stabilize no matter the side of the interface. The co-efficient of friction does not change with surface area.

But you still have not describe what you mean by responsiveness. And units of measure would be really, really helpful too.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Ignoring the time difference which you mention, and ignoring slightly different routes.

On your first ride, the 16th April.
Climbing average: 18.4mph for 4:28
Flat average: 20.6mph for 23:37
Descent average: 21.3mph for 3:54

On the second ride, 28th May.
Climbing average: 17.6mph for 8:19
Flat average: 21mph for 33:59
Descent average: 19.6mph for 7:18

So any weight benefits are actually only giving you a gain of 0.4mph (assuming identical weather and wind conditions, clothing and same power through the pedals)

For lighter weight wheels, the common claim is better for climbing, yet you're almost 1mph slower on climbs, but you are climbing for longer, so may not be able to sustain the effort.

More aerodynamic wheels should improve much more at higher speeds, yet although you were going downhill for nearly twice the amount of time, you're 1.7mph slower with your aerodynamic wheels.

So, although far, far too many variables to say anything conclusive, there's very little there that corresponds to any of the popular theories of performance benefits from wheels, and even if there was, you would need more than 45 minute time to see any measurable difference. So there's nothing there that supports the wheel being the key factor in any performance improvement.
The two rides include warm ups/downs at various speeds, the TT is the B10/39 which is taken well....... errrr........ flat out!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Basically you are picking what you want out of those rides, for instance sometimes my warm up takes me up and down the hills in the centre of the village sometimes it doesn't. The strava record is the whole evening not just the fast bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom