Wheel set upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Hi folks

I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my trusty Boardman CX team,(2012 version) I have a budget of around £350 - £400 at a push for the set, so would like some advice on the best option available to me please.

I have a brain melt down trying to figure which wheel set is better than the next wheel set
Thank you in advance
Norm

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For that amount of money you can get a very nice site of hand builds to your own spec, rather then generic off the peg wheel sets.
Check out DCR Wheels.. a good few CC members have had wheels built by him.

Edit: Hmmm.. his website is down at the moment.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
For that amount of money you can get a very nice site of hand builds to your own spec, rather then generic off the peg wheel sets.
Check out DCR Wheels.. a good few CC members have had wheels built by him.

Edit: Hmmm.. his website is down at the moment.
^^^^^^^ This.
If you do a lot of riding in darkness I would also consider a dynohub too.
Also, with the trend being for fatter road tyres I'd go for 23mm rims such as Archetypes or Pacenti's, both are well recommended and better for 25 and 28c rubber in particular.
Consider tubeless rims too.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yes six bolt discs
Ring dave at dcr wheels.....get a set of h sons built up with novatec disc hubs and never look back. The wheels are immensley good to ride. Especially with 28mm tyres, smooth, quick and comfy

Edit - there doesnt need to be anything wrong with current wheels to want, need or appreciate new ones :smile:

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Thanks guys

I'll give him a ring, I have £1400 to spend on a new bike, but I love the bike I have now 2012 version Boardman CX Team, so rather than go down the N+1 route I have neither the space or the heart to adjust to a new bike.
So if I love this bike so much, which does make me smile every time I ride it, why not just throw some money at it and improve it a little more, hence the new wheels.
Norm

Cyclist33

Thanks guys

I'll give him a ring, I have £1400 to spend on a new bike, but I love the bike I have now 2012 version Boardman CX Team, so rather than go down the N+1 route I have neither the space or the heart to adjust to a new bike.
So if I love this bike so much, which does make me smile every time I ride it, why not just throw some money at it and improve it a little more, hence the new wheels.
Norm

Or you could just build a pyre and toss your banknotes on it!

Reviews are an unreliable witness, as are other riders, and you don't really get the chance to test ride a particular wheelset on your own bike, so just get the ones you think are sexiest and then remind yourself that humans can be sexy but inanimate objects, not.

Cyclist33

Ring dave at dcr wheels.....get a set of h sons built up with novatec disc hubs and never look back. The wheels are immensley good to ride. Especially with 28mm tyres, smooth, quick and comfy

Edit - there doesnt need to be anything wrong with current wheels to want, need or appreciate new ones :smile:

That would be the tyres mostly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks guys

Norm

His website is back up and running.
Have a chat with him, he's a top chap and makes fantastic wheels. He also provides a great after sales service.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi folks

I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my trusty Boardman CX team,(2012 version) I have a budget of around £350 - £400 at a push for the set, so would like some advice on the best option available to me please.

I have a brain melt down trying to figure which wheel set is better than the next wheel set
Thank you in advance
Norm

Hi,
If you want the best hand built wheels then I suggest you contact Harry Rowland His website is not the best and he might not talk a good wheel build but he makes truly great wheels. I'd like to think that I know a thing or two about wheel building :smile: I'm a wheel builder too and I have checked / rebuilt other builders wheels, including wheels built by a very popular builder on this forum and I have no hesitation to recommend Harry Roland.

BTW, I have no links with Harry Roland at all and my opinion is based on his work and nothing else. I have talked to one other well known builder about Harry Roland and he is also of the same opinion about his wheels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom