Wheel set upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's what I was intending to say @Justinslow , but I doubt I made it clear, I was able to hold the same cadence, but at a higher gear than with my other set up, applying the same pressure to the pedals as I normally would do.

Measured with a power meter?

The only way of noting this to the wheels, is if you had the same cadence, and the same power output, but went faster.

If you decide to attribute faster acceleration to the wheels, then coasting speed would be slower, or at least it would slow down faster. In fact, it would lose speed at the same rate as you gain the acceleration. You can't get quicker accelerating wheels, that also roll for longer.

bpsmith

Veteran

The only way of noting this to the wheels, is if you had the same cadence, and the same power output, but went faster.

If you decide to attribute faster acceleration to the wheels, then coasting speed would be slower, or at least it would slow down faster. In fact, it would lose speed at the same rate as you gain the acceleration. You can't get quicker accelerating wheels, that also roll for longer.
Wouldn't more efficient bearings give you both of those things?

Cyclist33

I'm afraid I didn't weigh the wheels, but in handling both sets, while making the change over, the Pro-lites were considerably lighter compared to the original wheel set (Richey rims/ formula disc hubs) ... costs were as follows

Pro-Lite revo A21 wheel set : £315
x2 Continental Gatorskin 28's : £50
x5 Continental 42mm presta inner tubes (on offer) £26
TRP Spyre brakes (front and back) £115

Was it worth it? well IMHO to me yes, I really could feel the difference in both how the bike now handles and the ease in which it moves along, but I can't give a definite answer until I do a number of longer runs, which I hope to do in the next few weeks.

Norm

I have been lusting after pro lite bortola, which I believe are the rim brake version of those.

Wouldn't more efficient bearings give you both of those things?

Yes, but wouldn't be measurable outside of a lab.

I purchased new wheels also recently. I did my 14 mile evening loop 3 minutes quicker first ride out with them too, or it could have been less wind, or that I am more rested, or that I had actually eaten well, or that I adjusted my seat, but those new wheels certainly made me 3 minutes quicker! ;)

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

I purchased new wheels also recently. I did my 14 mile evening loop 3 minutes quicker first ride out with them too, or it could have been less wind, or that I am more rested, or that I had actually eaten well, or that I adjusted my seat, but those new wheels certainly made me 3 minutes quicker! ;)
Well they may have helped wouldn't you agree?

bpsmith

Veteran

You said "you can't get faster accelerating wheels...that also roll for longer". I happen to disagree on the bearings alone.

I agree that there are other factors, but also believe that the wheels themselves could equally or more likely be the cause of your faster ride effect.

Well they may have helped wouldn't you agree?

Probably wouldn't give any noticeable time gain on such a short journey.

Though, I recently upgraded a lot of parts, because I wanted to. And, I like them. I went faster with them all too, though most likely because it's all new and shiney, so you put in that bit extra effort.

There's no way a wheel and groupset change made me 3 minutes quicker over 14 miles, same way as wheels won't make you 6 minutes quicker, that's not to say don't buy wheels. If you like them, and like to use them, then there's no issue, but I don't believe in massive performance gains.

In fact, what is often the most likely benefit of lightweight wheels is often the one that is never mentioned, and that is more responsive turning, especially at speed.

You said "you can't get faster accelerating wheels...that also roll for longer". I happen to disagree on the bearings alone.

I agree that there are other factors, but also believe that the wheels themselves could equally or more likely be the cause of your faster ride effect.

A new identical bearing will give the same result as a whole new upgrade too, but then the benefit would still be negligible.

bpsmith

Veteran
A new identical bearing will give the same result as a whole new upgrade too, but then the benefit would still be negligible.
All things being equal, I guess so, based on either replacing the bearings or buying the same wheels brand new again. That's not usually how it happens though.

Can't see how the difference is negligible. Quantifiably speaking, maybe it doesn't equate to huge differences on their own, but combinations of better kit do.

Why are we not all riding basic cheap bikes if there's no difference? Rhetorical question btw.

I replaced the chain on my Winter Defy 1. It had only done 1,200 miles, but wanted to maximise the cassette and chain rings. Noticed the benefit of the chain straight away. Far more direct in power transfer. It's how the bike feels that matters as much as real world speed or effort gains.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

When I suggested using a powermeter to compare wheelsets on a separate thread about wheels I was told that was an unreliable test............

All things being equal, I guess so, based on either replacing the bearings or buying the same wheels brand new again. That's not usually how it happens though.

Can't see how the difference is negligible. Quantifiably speaking, maybe it doesn't equate to huge differences on their own, but combinations of better kit do.

Why are we not all riding basic cheap bikes if there's no difference? Rhetorical question btw.

I replaced the chain on my Winter Defy 1. It had only done 1,200 miles, but wanted to maximise the cassette and chain rings. Noticed the benefit of the chain straight away. Far more direct in power transfer. It's how the bike feels that matters as much as real world speed or effort gains.

Yes, as I said, the bike would handle differently in turns with lighter wheels, but real world speed gains would be negligible. I'm not the best cyclist, I am about 14kg over weight, but have just upgraded wheels and groupset, because I like it, because I enjoy it. Losing weight will make me faster, but it's nice, to have nice, good quality things :smile:

But, while it is nice, and feels good to own a real nice set of wheels like OP has. There's no way they account for a 6 minute saving as claimed.

When I suggested using a powermeter to compare wheelsets on a separate thread about wheels I was told that was an unreliable test............

So long as weather conditions, and the route was identical, I don't see a better test.

Same speed, same cadence and gear, a "faster" wheelset should require less power to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom