Wheel set upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
In the end I opted for Pro-lite disc wheel set, Continental Gatorskins 28's and TRP Spyre brakes (front and back) .. was the upgrade worth it? try wiping the smile off my face when I ride the bike :bicycle:

17674_668908509909070_7331732260299365270_n.jpg

What differences do you notice?

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
What differences do you notice?

I was rather surprised, the bike feels much lighter, the power transfer from stamping on the pedals to the acceleration at the wheels is much sharper, coasting speed is higher, plus the distance compared to the other wheels is by far greater, climbing hills is easier, the bike over all is just faster and sharper.

I cycle every other Monday to a model club (plastic model kits) I'm a member of, normal time averages 27 minutes each way, last nights trip 21.18 and that's just at my normal cadence, but can't really add any opinions until I do a number of longer distances, I have a 18 mile loop and a 30 mile loops I normally do, so I'll compare the times and speeds to them.

But over all I'm really pleased at the change it has made, feels like a different bike IMHO

Norm

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I was rather surprised, the bike feels much lighter, the power transfer from stamping on the pedals to the acceleration at the wheels is much sharper, coasting speed is higher, plus the distance compared to the other wheels is by far greater, climbing hills is easier, the bike over all is just faster and sharper.

I cycle every other Monday to a model club (plastic model kits) I'm a member of, normal time averages 27 minutes each way, last nights trip 21.18 and that's just at my normal cadence, but can't really add any opinions until I do a number of longer distances, I have a 18 mile loop and a 30 mile loops I normally do, so I'll compare the times and speeds to them.

But over all I'm really pleased at the change it has made, feels like a different bike IMHO

Norm
Did you weigh both wheelsets? How much weight have you saved overall? Just interested.
And what was the cost of the whole package if you don't mind me asking.

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Did you weigh both wheelsets? How much weight have you saved overall? Just interested.
And what was the cost of the whole package if you don't mind me asking.

I'm afraid I didn't weigh the wheels, but in handling both sets, while making the change over, the Pro-lites were considerably lighter compared to the original wheel set (Richey rims/ formula disc hubs) ... costs were as follows

Pro-Lite revo A21 wheel set : £315
x2 Continental Gatorskin 28's : £50
x5 Continental 42mm presta inner tubes (on offer) £26
TRP Spyre brakes (front and back) £115

Was it worth it? well IMHO to me yes, I really could feel the difference in both how the bike now handles and the ease in which it moves along, but I can't give a definite answer until I do a number of longer runs, which I hope to do in the next few weeks.

Norm

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm afraid I didn't weigh the wheels, but in handling both sets, while making the change over, the Pro-lites were considerably lighter compared to the original wheel set (Richey rims/ formula disc hubs) ... costs were as follows

Pro-Lite revo A21 wheel set : £315
x2 Continental Gatorskin 28's : £50
x5 Continental 42mm presta inner tubes (on offer) £26
TRP Spyre brakes (front and back) £115

Was it worth it? well IMHO to me yes, I really could feel the difference in both how the bike now handles and the ease in which it moves along, but I can't give a definite answer until I do a number of longer runs, which I hope to do in the next few weeks.

Norm
Cheers, yes rather like my feelings having recently just changed mine! Hope you get on well with them!

I cycle every other Monday to a model club (plastic model kits) I'm a member of, normal time averages 27 minutes each way, last nights trip 21.18 and that's just at my normal cadence, but can't really add any opinions until I do a number of longer distances, I have a 18 mile loop and a 30 mile loops I normally do, so I'll compare the times and speeds to the.

Norm

This could be interesting. You went faster at the same cadence?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
This could be interesting. You went faster at the same cadence?
I don't see what you are getting at?
If your cadence was 90 in say 10th gear, would this not be faster than a cadence of 90 in first gear?
When on my TT's I'm trying to hold a similar cadence but in a higher gear thus "going faster" Am I missing something???

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I don't see what you are getting at?
If your cadence was 90 in say 10th gear, would this not be faster than a cadence of 90 in first gear?
When on my TT's I'm trying to hold a similar cadence but in a higher gear thus "going faster" Am I missing something???

That's what I was intending to say @Justinslow , but I doubt I made it clear, I was able to hold the same cadence, but at a higher gear than with my other set up, applying the same pressure to the pedals as I normally would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom