Wheel set upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
and semi aero!

So you would expect to be slower in side winds where there is a larger surface area?

After-all, the pros choose their rim depth based on wind conditions too, so why not do that?

Citius

How does anything not perform so well when it wears? I am surprised by you particularly asking this question. You seem to have all the answers most of the time...

For as long as the chain (any chain) is connected to the sprockets, it will perform nominally, like any chain would. The only risks to a worn chain are the potential for breakage and/or corresponding wear to other components like chain rings and sprockets. None of that will affect performance. It's great that you felt the new chain was making you faster - but that's all it was - a feeling.

bpsmith

Veteran
The only fair way, wou
For as long as the chain (any chain) is connected to the sprockets, it will perform nominally, like any chain would. The only risks to a worn chain are the potential for breakage and/or corresponding wear to other components like chain rings and sprockets. None of that will affect performance. It's great that you felt the new chain was making you faster - but that's all it was - a feeling.
Feeling happy is only a feeling. Does that make it unimportant to you? Sounds like based on the tone to many of your posts. :smile:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Of course you're probably right but the issue that has sparked so much of this kind of debate recently is that people who should have been content with saying "I bought this because I liked the look of it" have not stopped there but have insisted that the purchase somehow improved their performance.

None of them have been able to substantiate such claims.

On a side note, I would have contested the larger telly too but on the grounds that the image quality is £ for £ usually worse on a larger telly, assuming you don't move your sofa further away and aren't watching every single programme in HD or 4K. I experienced this with my sister's new 47 incher.

Stu, upgrading to some wheels do indeed bring performance improvements BUT unfortunately these are small and not everyone can take advantage of them, certainly not me :laugh:. Statistics show that pro riders can reduce a few seconds over a 30 or 40 km ride by using wheels that are more aerodynamic. It's true that is a small gain but for pro's a marginal gain might just be the difference between a 1st or 2nd place. For the rest of mortals, there is a psychological advantage, I have no doubt that people feel going faster with a new set of wheels, the time might even confirm that to be true, who cares the rider was actually pushing a bit harder? I remember when I was a young lad, every time my parents got me new trainers I used to feel so fast on them, Carl Lewis would have had a job to catch me :laugh:

On a side note. I would have said "Stop being a pain in the backside or words to that effect" if you contested my larger TV ^_^

Citius

Feeling happy is only a feeling. Does that make it unimportant to you? Sounds like based on the tone to many of your posts. :smile:

Earlier you said the new chain gave you more power, or something similar. I think that was the contentious bit. I buy new chains periodically - but because chains are fairly mundane, non-impulse purchases, I don't cycle along whistling zippedy doo-dah....

Cyclist33

Stu, upgrading to some wheels do indeed bring performance improvements BUT unfortunately these are small and not everyone can take advantage of them, certainly not me :laugh:. Statistics show that pro riders can reduce a few seconds over a 30 or 40 km ride by using wheels that are more aerodynamic. It's true that is a small gain but for pro's a marginal gain might just be the difference between a 1st or 2nd place. For the rest of mortals, there is a psychological advantage, I have no doubt that people feel going faster with a new set of wheels, the time might even confirm that to be true, who cares the rider was actually pushing a bit harder? I remember when I was a young lad, every time my parents got me new trainers I used to feel so fast on them, Carl Lewis would have had a job to catch me :laugh:

On a side note. I would have said "Stop being a pain in the backside or words to that effect" if you contested my larger TV ^_^

That's almost exactly what my sister said at the time and six months later she says the telly is too big.

OP
OP
NormanD

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
WOW guys calm down .. I'm not stating this new set of wheels made me faster than I normally am over the same distance and they were the sole reason for the six minutes gain I arrived at my destination. I've ridden this bike for three years, so I should know by now, how the bike felt with the other set up I had, the only tyre difference is going from 25 Gatorskins to 28 Gatorskins (25's going on my sons bike) I also removed the lights + battery pack + spare battery pack (for my phone using Endmondo).

IMHO the bike feels different, more responsive, lighter and a bit more comfortable, I never cycle out of my comfort zone, I always chose the gear I know to use for that particular stretch of road (I've cycled this route untold many of times) I will say though, I was able to use the next gear up and still maintain the same level of comfort, read into that what you will.

I want to put more mileage on the new stuff I added, then I can give a honest opinion was it worth it, from the few outings I've done so far, then the bigger smile factor is yes, but time will tell

Norm

Cyclist33

That's almost exactly what my sister said at the time and six months later she says the telly is too big.

And on the grounds that everything you said above is valid and I have no reason to doubt that, there is still a big difference between these three propositions:

1. I love how they look.
2. They make me feel like I want to go faster.
3. I go faster with them on the bike.
4. *They* make me/the bike faster.

People have got their knickers so in a twist over recent forum weeks because they have not confined themselves to 1, 2, or 3 above but have insisted that in some demonstrable way, 4 applies to them, and have then not been able to offer a compelling case for such a claim when their gullibility has been pointed out.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
WOW guys calm down .. I'm not stating this new set of wheels made me faster than I normally am over the same distance and they were the sole reason for the six minutes gain I arrived at my destination. I've ridden this bike for three years, so I should know by now, how the bike felt with the other set up I had, the only tyre difference is going from 25 Gatorskins to 28 Gatorskins (25's going on my sons bike) I also removed the lights + battery pack + spare battery pack (for my phone using Endmondo).

IMHO the bike feels different, more responsive, lighter and a bit more comfortable, I never cycle out of my comfort zone, I always chose the gear I know to use for that particular stretch of road (I've cycled this route untold many of times) I will say though, I was able to use the next gear up and still maintain the same level of comfort, read into that what you will.

I want to put more mileage on the new stuff I added, then I can give a honest opinion was it worth it, from the few outings I've done so far, then the bigger smile factor is yes, but time will tell

Norm
forget what the doubters say norm - I'm glad you chose to go with the upgrades and are enjoying them in the way the should be enjoyed. you don't have to come on here and justify anything to anyone.

keep riding, keep smiling and enjoy he ride

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So you would expect to be slower in side winds where there is a larger surface area?

After-all, the pros choose their rim depth based on wind conditions too, so why not do that?
I can't justify many sets of wheels, I chose 30mm rims as a "half way house" my two rides are on strava but separated by several weeks so in no way is that going to be comparable, apart from time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom