Wheel set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At some point in the medium term, I'm going to replace the wheels on the Scott roadie. It currently wears Shimano R500s, and I'd like something similar-ish or better to replace them. Not aiming to spend lots, and to repeat, this isn't likely to happen any time soon, maybe 6 months ahead.
Your thoughts and knowledge much appreciated!

nickAKA

Über Member
RS010 or RS11 would be a little upgrade on the 500s if you like the wheels? You'll get a load of different opinions, good & bad, but if they work for you, they're tried & trusted at the price point. I'm not a big fan of the Mavics but Aksium are at a similar price point, Fulcrum racing 7s are available in 2-way fit if you fancy the option of tubeless (but will cost more).
All down to budget and what you expect out of them really.

A budget would be a good addition. I am a fan of Mavics. They do a UST tubeless version of the Aksiums now. As long as you don’t use the sealant that comes with them, they work well.

Hicky

Guru
I've had Aksiums for about 4 years on and off the bike(I have a set of handbuilts too). They've never been trued although they could probably do with a looking at on the rear a little. I've bounced them up/down kerbs and along canal cobbles for about 2000 km, I'm 85kg, one thing is the rear hub freewheel is noisy.

The RS11s are looking the part, RS010s seem to have vanished. £100-150 budget when the time comes, but may be adjustable. Not keen om Mavics due to their reputation for noisy freewheels - would drive me bananas!

I bought the RS30s a number of years ago and they still run true after having my 85kg on them for quite a few thousand miles.

a mate bought the RS11s a year or so ago and they look like the same wheel for all intense and purposes, trickle down technology or rebadging or old stock, whichever it is, they are a bargain for long term use IMHO

I like the shimano stuff because it lasts and the RS30s are no different.

lets hope I don't have to eat my words in a couple of weeks

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've had both the R500 and RS11's and couldn't see much difference between them, apart from the rim on the rear wheel of the RS11's wore through really quickly (but that may have been because of the rubbish brake blocks I was using).
I've also got Campagnolo Khamsins on another bike, over 4000 miles and still going strong, haven't had to touch them at all in all that time.
Current fave bike has Mavic Aksiums and have so far enjoyed about 2000 miles of trouble cycling, just hope it carry's on like this!

davidphilips

Veteran
Great set of wheels for £139 with free delivery,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Co...hash=item3d886aaf7f:m:m_fuMRc9V_x9hK_EuMSsJyQ

Know mavic free hubs tend to get a lot of bad press but i have never had any issues with them and tend to about once a year relube the freehub (takes about 10 minutes) only tools required are a 5mm alan key and far as i remember a 17mm spanner, very simple and great freehub.

Dont buy the tyres and tubes as they (in my view) are not as good as similar priced tyres.

Attachments

• Chrysanthemum.jpg
    Chrysanthemum.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom