Wheel sets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys,

Bought a Triban 3 a few months ago and although it's fairly cheap, it rides great (as good as bikes 2/3 times the price that I tried before buying). I'm a tight arse, so I wasn't prepared to spend and extra £300/500 on a bike that Isn't much better (if any) than the Triban.

Anyway, I like the bike very much- comes in at around 10.5kg; I figured I could upgrade some parts soon and get it down to sub 10kg. The wheels are the weight killer on this bike; read several people that weighed them at 3kgish(!!!)

Can anyone recommend me some decent wheel sets that would shave some weight off but not break the bank? <£200 if possible. (Also, is a worthwhile upgrade?)

Thanks,
Ches

Nebulous

Guru
Going from the description of the wheels you could try a relatively cheap upgrade. The Shimano 501 wheels are available well under £100 at the moment. I have the 30mm version that are a bit heavier but the 'ordinary' ones will come in around 2kg.

outlash

also available in orange
I bought a set of shimano 500/501's with new tubes, tyres and a new cassette for my triban and it's made a noticeable difference. I paid less than £120 for the lot, I guess that better wheels would be better still :-) .

Tony.

OP
OP
C

Chescadence

I honestly am astonished by the Triban 3- It's truly brilliant value for money.

IMHO, if I invest £200 to the £300 original price to get wheels/tires you'd struggle to get a better bike for £500.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out!

C

andsaw

I just bought Shimano 501 30mm model and a Shimano cassette for £95 all in and a new kmc 8.93 chain, just waiting for them to be delivered, cant wait.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mavic Aksium or Ksyrium Equipes. Pop on some decent light tyres and you'll be off - e.g. Michelin Pro Race, Conti GP4000 or 4GP 4Season (all round tyre).

400bhp

Guru
Mavic Aksium or Ksyrium Equipes. Pop on some decent light tyres and you'll be off - e.g. Michelin Pro Race, Conti GP4000 or 4GP 4Season (all round tyre).

They come with tyres and inners mate-albeit they are probably paper thin and useless on our roads. Apparently the inners ate £11 a pop:wacko: .

Still haven't used mine yet.

We really need to know when/where and how much the OP rides and how fit he is. I suspect it'd just be better to ride the stock wheels for a while,

Must start a thread on this - but clearly the bike manufacturers have cottoned on to the car buying mentality. Middle aged white men buying shat they don't need.^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best wheels to get...

Hand built.

Local LBS etc. Yes not super light (but can be) but very repairable. I run hand built on the commuter and the best bike.

Top Bottom