Wheel Size Help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razer17

There is a difference between loosing support and being forced out of the market place by manufacturers. If 26" inch wheeled bikes were still readily available people would still be buying them.
What I meant was the likes of Giant and trek, the companies with the most clout are only offering the two larger sizes. And if they don't make it available to buy most people won't buy them. So 26" is losing support from the people who really influence the majority of the market. Or as you say they're forcing 26" out.

gelfy666

Über Member
im 6' 2" and have the large Saracen Kili, i do prefer it now compared to my 26" bike, just feels better to me, but its personal prference i suppose.

Attachments

• bikey.jpg
    bikey.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
We tried her sitting on a couple of bikes last week. I don't know whether bikes are measured differently these days but, my 12 year old daughter sat on a 29er that apparently had a 19" frame. There was around 12cm seat post showing and she could touch the ground with both feet.

Her favourite (a lurid green Cube), had hydraulic discs and Big S 3x8 gears that I would upgrade as they failed. My only concern was a Suntour fork. Suntour have fallen a long way since the days of XC Pro and Superbe Pro. Even that didn't make it feel too front heavy and it even had a remote lockout.

I think mountain bikes have got a lot shorter lately but the height?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am facing the same dilemma. I am about to splurge £1300 quid on decent MTBs for the wife and oldest son and to say the options are limited is an understatement. They have to be GT and the spec level I want means either 27.5 or 29, no 26 option. I have rebuilt my 26r and would gladly buy more 26" bikes if it was still an option, IMO they are the best of all worlds :ninja:

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I too was faced with this dilemma recently. I've ridden and thoroughly enjoyed mountain bikes with 26" wheels for years because that was the industry standard. But when changing bike last year, I suddenly had two more options. I went 27.5" and they seem pretty good. Is there a massive difference? Not really TBH.
Unfortunately, it seems bike manufacturers are phasing out 26" wheels now, so what was the standard for years is suddenly seen as old hat. I don't subscribe to this theory, I merely see them being pushed aside for something different or "new". This is also an excellent opportunity to sell us all new bikes with different wheels sizes.
Marked improvement or marketing ploy, you decide....

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I don't do wheelsize arguments but having ridden all 3 wheel sizes, when purchasing new and upgrading my 26, my favourite manufacturer (Vitus/ CRC) had only 27.5 in the £ range so I bought one.

I guess, having recently bought another 27.5, It's my preferred size..

Heigue'r

Veteran
Im ordering a bike tomorrow morning, I have a choice of 27.5 and 29 in the model i want, however the frame for the 27.5 comes in 18" which is bang on the money for me based on my measurements, the 29 comes in 17" or 19" and seems to be slightly small or slightly large.I have been reading article after article on the pros and cons of both.some sites favour 29 some 27.5.I dont think I will notice the difference on either size as its been 13 odd years since ive had a mtb.I think ive got caught up in reading too much about them.im just going to order and ride
this is a review that favours the 27.5 if you forget about the reality bit at the bottom, good enough for me, im not going to read another thread about the subject
http://mbaction.com/home-page/home-page-slideshow/shootout-wheel-wars-29-vs-27-5-vs-26

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Im ordering a bike tomorrow morning, I have a choice of 27.5 and 29 in the model i want, however the frame for the 27.5 comes in 18" which is bang on the money for me based on my measurements, the 29 comes in 17" or 19" and seems to be slightly small or slightly large.I have been reading article after article on the pros and cons of both.some sites favour 29 some 27.5.I dont think I will notice the difference on either size as its been 13 odd years since ive had a mtb.I think ive got caught up in reading too much about them.im just going to order and ride
this is a review that favours the 27.5 if you forget about the reality bit at the bottom, good enough for me, im not going to read another thread about the subject
http://mbaction.com/home-page/home-page-slideshow/shootout-wheel-wars-29-vs-27-5-vs-26

Stuff the wheel size, get the one that fits you the best.

KneesUp

Guru
I remember when 'Mountain Bikes' were relatively new that there were loads of arguments in favour of 26" wheels being much better than 700c (or 29er as they call them now)

I suppose Physics must have changed?

Stuff the wheel size, get the one that fits you the best.

Great answer Pale Rider

I've been riding 29er's and 29er+ bikes* since 2008 and I love them, I'm 5'8" with a 31" inside leg.

I'm a long distance rider, but like the occasional trail centre and they suit my style of riding perfectly.

If you're into downhill, rocky and technical go for a 650b full suspension bike. Avoid 26er's unless that's all you can afford.

Look at what you can afford and then spend a couple of hundred more (if you can stretch to it) to be as future proof as possible.

My2Penneth

* my Fat Bikes are 26" rims but the 4" to 5" of rubber make them 29ers

Motozulu

Über Member
Must admit after getting my first 27.5 last year I am now a convert. Just a little bit quicker, just a little bit smoother over the roots and rocks. It all counts, eh? When I ride the 26er S/S now it feels so slow....

Cyclist33

You mean it tells you what you want to hear..?

You will not find a single rational argument for or against any one of the sizes in the usage category you are proposing.
Subjective findings such as "roll fast" and "more upper body work" are just that, subjective and impossible to quantify or even prove in blind tests.

In your case, I would simply buy the bike with the best value proposition at the time when you are ready to buy. Don't agonize over it. Agonize over the colour, if you want to fret. If you want a practical consideration, remember that 29" MTB wheels are very bulky and complicates transporting a disassembled bike in a small hatchback. It is certainly a dog to take on a plane or train.

Top Bottom