Wheel truing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Hi guys, I hope you can help me. I have had issues with my rear wheel recently, I had to have the hub replaced and the LBS I took it too was very good about fixing it and they kept the rim and spokes and replaced the hub with a new one, was not expensive so I was happy. Since then its not gone well though, I didn't notice but the small plastic chain guard wasn't on when I got it back and the chain went into the spokes and damaged them, breaking a couple. When I took it back, 3 had gone, they fixed it put a replacement chain guard on, since then spokes have broken twice and I have took it back twice.

They haven't charged but its the inconvenience of going back and having the bike out of action, I commute on it. Today I noticed one spoke has broken and another is wobbly and think I will try and fix it myself. I know its a long story but thought better to tell it all, can someone recommend a good wheel truing mount that should do me? Money is an issue unfortunately but I think maybe it will save me time and money in the long run. Also do you think I will need to rebuild the whole wheel or should I be able to replace the broken spoke and tighten the other on this occasion? I guess these are probably simple questions but Im just after a little reassurance that its not totally daunting and I can do it. I have also just noticed Mickles thread and wil read it, thanks Mickle!

sparty69

There's obviously a problem with how it's been put back together for the spokes to be breaking at the rate they are. I would start again from scratch for peace of mind, making sure you have the right length spokes, google 'spocalc' for a downloadable version for calculating spoke length properly. Whereabouts are you? It does seem daunting, but provided you get the info. right to start with and have the right tools, then it's a matter of patience.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

HI Sparty, thanks for the info, is spocalc a spreadsheet? I found it on Sheldon's site. Im from near St Helens in the North West.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'd be tempted to get the LBS re-build the wheel with some decent spokes and nipples.

For minor corrections (like replacing a spoke) you can get away without a truing stand.

sparty69

Yeah, it's an excel spreadsheet. I would try the LBS first, you have a good argument for them rebuilding the wheel, because it shouldn't be giving you all these problems if it's been done properly. I'm over in Glossop, so a bit far away to pop round and help.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Yeah, it's an excel spreadsheet. I would try the LBS first, you have a good argument for them rebuilding the wheel, because it shouldn't be giving you all these problems if it's been done properly. I'm over in Glossop, so a bit far away to pop round and help.
heh, thanks that would have been cool, maybe if I get desperate I will drive to you, its not THAT far :-D

I think I will go back to them and get them to fix it again and I will start learning now at my own pace to build my own for the future. Ive done almost all the maintenance myself so far except for this which seems like the next 'big step'.

Thanks for the link to the book Pete, I will give it a look, it sounds like a good book, I do want to be able to do it myself and not rely on a LBS.

endoman

If the chain went into the spokes after the protector was removed it suggests the limit screw needs looking at as well. Sheldon's site again has the details, you really don't need the pie plate thing at all if the gears are set up correctly. I'd also look to have them re build the wheel,

sparty69

If I get time we could always meet up at some point in the future and I'll give you some pointers to help you. If you do need to calculate the correct spoke length you may find the DT Swiss site better. They have a spoke calculator on there which has a database of rim and hub information already which saves you having to calculate rim size, hub offset etc. You just tell it what model rim and hub you have and it puts that info. into the calculator for you. Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

If I get time we could always meet up at some point in the future and I'll give you some pointers to help you. If you do need to calculate the correct spoke length you may find the DT Swiss site better. They have a spoke calculator on there which has a database of rim and hub information already which saves you having to calculate rim size, hub offset etc. You just tell it what model rim and hub you have and it puts that info. into the calculator for you. Best of luck, hope you get it sorted.
That a generous offer, I will try and get on and hopefully learn how to do it myself, its good to know I have backup if i need, thanks!

Bit of a tangent but what caused the chain to go into the spokes? Is your derailleur adjusted properly and the frame/hanger properly aligned & not bent at all?
My gears were out of wack, I didn't realize how out of wack and it came off the top gear and into the spokes. I adjusted the derailleur to fix it. I didn't notice the damage at the time, it may not have broken them but just weakened them. So, I cant absolve myself of blame, its my fault too I guess. I took it back and as you guys suggested going to put new spokes and nipples on and hopefully that will sort it for now. For teh future Im going to learn it myself, working on the plan that noone will put as much care into my wheel as I will. ^_^

Top Bottom