Wheel truing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
When does a wheel become so buckled that it is impossible to true ?

I have got rid of small "wear and tear" warps, but got pulled out on yesterday and I'm not sure whether to straighten or replace.

Thanks

Citius

If it's buckled due to an impact, then send it straight to the bin.

lpretro1

If you take all the tension off the spokes and the wheel is still out of shape then it is not worth messing with

My Cycling bud went into the back of me when I stopped at a junction. Fell onto my back wheel resulting in one very banana'd wheel (to the extent it fouled on the chain-stay as it went round).

Bin it? (the wheel I mean)

The answer isn't as easy as that. You'll have to take off all the tension from all the spokes and see fi the rim's default state is straight. A wheel can taco (pretzel, collapse, etc) without permanent damage to the rim.

Currently have about an inch of runout i'd guess. So If I slacken off all the spokes (how much do I slacken? never messed with wheels) then re assess. How much runout is acceptable with the spokes slackened?

Currently have about an inch of runout i'd guess. So If I slacken off all the spokes (how much do I slacken? never messed with wheels) then re assess. How much runout is acceptable with the spokes slackened?
Until the spokes have no tension. Recovering from this state is not really to be attempted by the first-timer relying on the bike for tomorrow's trip to work.

The acceptable run-out on a non-tensioined rim should be zero, measured with an error of about 1mm, I guess.

Top Bottom