Wheel upgrade 38 or 50 Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Looking at getting my first set of carbon wheels soon, got stock wheels which are ok but looking for a bit of an upgrade , my last set of wheels on my old bike were Campagnolo Scirocco, good wheels , question is is there any difference in 38 or 50 rims apart from the obvious depth, there isn’t much difference in price between the 2,I just don’t know if I’m brave enough for crosswinds on a 50 or are they not that bad, my Campagnolo’s were 35’s, is there much difference in handling and is there any difference in ride feel , comfort, climbing and just general road riding , any suggestions on which one ,cheers 👍🏻

Sharky

Guru
Can't really answer your question, but last year I bought a front tri spoke for time trials. A very nice wheel, but so difficult to handle in a cross wind. This year I went back to my old front wheel.

si_c

Guru
I notice crosswinds less on my carbon 50mm deep rims than I do on the 24mm alloy rims on the spare wheels for the same bike. You'll get a little weight saving with the 38 but I'd just go 50mm, they look better :laugh::becool:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll depend on two things; whether you intend riding on them all year round and budget.

Son no. 2 trains and races on 50/60mm rims except in winter when he drops to 30mm. They tend to be fine in most crosswinds.

Budget-wise you'll notice the difference in weight as the spend goes up I'm afraid. However, his 50mm set are a pair of un-badged Novatec's and he's been happy to race on them as well as use them for training. He's currently racing on a pair of 60mm 3T Mercurio's that have no crosswind issues, but did retail at £1600 when new.

Me? I'm riding a 42mm aluminium set most of the time, which have a few crosswind issues but not too much. We both use a 60mm/disc combination though for TT-ing so are used to deep section wheels.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Even my 60kg friends can handle 50 and 60mm wheels. Personally I don’t see 38mm much of an upgrade over stock wheels, the benefits are not worth the outlay.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I notice crosswinds less on my carbon 50mm deep rims than I do on the 24mm alloy rims on the spare wheels for the same bike. You'll get a little weight saving with the 38 but I'd just go 50mm, they look better :laugh::becool:
Yes all about the look too :becool::laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
It'll depend on two things; whether you intend riding on them all year round and budget.

Son no. 2 trains and races on 50/60mm rims except in winter when he drops to 30mm. They tend to be fine in most crosswinds.

Budget-wise you'll notice the difference in weight as the spend goes up I'm afraid. However, his 50mm set are a pair of un-badged Novatec's and he's been happy to race on them as well as use them for training. He's currently racing on a pair of 60mm 3T Mercurio's that have no crosswind issues, but did retail at £1600 when new.

Me? I'm riding a 42mm aluminium set most of the time, which have a few crosswind issues but not too much. We both use a 60mm/disc combination though for TT-ing so are used to deep section wheels.
Guess it’s getting used to them I’d expect the odd crosswind but if not too severe maybe worth a try just didn’t want get caught out, 50mm climb ok too , I’m not a climber but any help climbing will do^_^

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Why are the benefits better on the 50mm
More aerodynamic therefore faster.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Oh great I live fairly flat area with the odd climbing on certain routes so 50mm sound more suited to my rides :okay:
If you average over about 17 mph on a ride you should see a difference, if you don’t well at least the wheels are blingy. Make sure to put some decent tyres on too.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
If you average over about 17 mph on a ride you should see a difference, if you don’t well at least the wheels are blingy. Make sure to put some decent tyres on too.
Ha yes thanks I probably won’t go faster but the wheels do enhance the bike look ^_^ was going to put Conti 5000 on them

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Guess it’s getting used to them I’d expect the odd crosswind but if not too severe maybe worth a try just didn’t want get caught out, 50mm climb ok too , I’m not a climber but any help climbing will do^_^
My wife runs 50mm carbon rims, she weighs less than 50kg wet through & has never had a big issue with crosswinds. If it's that windy she's unlikely to be riding :okay:
I opted for 40mm carbon rims, as they have the edge for climbing, a fraction less weight :laugh:

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
My wife runs 50mm carbon rims, she weighs less than 50kg wet through & has never had a big issue with crosswinds. If it's that windy she's unlikely to be riding :okay:
I opted for 40mm carbon rims, as they have the edge for climbing, a fraction less weight :laugh:
Nice to throw a spanner in the works there ^_^ I was all set to look at 50mm rims but saying 40’s close enough to the 38’s are better for climbing,:wacko::okay: got a few weeks to wait first so time to think

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Well thanks for replies guys I was surprised they are not too bad in crosswinds so good to know , looks like I’ll be tossing the coin soon to decide , no seriously thanks 50’s look good :okay:

Top Bottom