Wheel upgrade 38 or 50 Rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Nice to throw a spanner in the works there ^_^ I was all set to look at 50mm rims but saying 40’s close enough to the 38’s are better for climbing,:wacko::okay: got a few weeks to wait first so time to think
How much climbing do you actually do? I would guess that you need to be climbing for 40% of the time or more to make lighter wheels more efficient than the aero benefits of the deeper section wheels. I am sure someone has done a proper study somewhere.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
How much climbing do you actually do? I would guess that you need to be climbing for 40% of the time or more to make lighter wheels more efficient than the aero benefits of the deeper section wheels. I am sure someone has done a proper study somewhere.
Definitely not 40% climbing I just thought it would strike a nice balance as I thought they would be easier than the 50’s for climbs when I do some ,

si_c

Guru
Definitely not 40% climbing I just thought it would strike a nice balance as I thought they would be easier than the 50’s for climbs when I do some ,
They usually will, but the question is would you actually notice it? I was wondering the same when I opted for the 50s as they were 120g heavier than the 50mm rims, which on a 5% gradient requires 1W extra power to climb at 18km/h.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
They usually will, but the question is would you actually notice it? I was wondering the same when I opted for the 50s as they were 120g heavier than the 50mm rims, which on a 5% gradient requires 1W extra power to climb at 18km/h.
So did you not notice any real difference in 50’s climbing, I am coming from a set of stock wheels plus my Campag Sciroccos weighed a bit so 50’s would weigh way lighter in that respect, I probably won’t notice it tbh, im not a great climber but looking to do a bit more

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Just found a review on Vel 3850 Wheelset from Sigma sports , cost a bit more , comes with 38 front 50 rear, now I am confused I’m best not looking into them I can’t make my mind up on either one yet these have both :wacko:^_^

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I've just bought some 35mm carbon wheels but the more I think about it, I think they'll go on my winter / all rounder bike as I think I really want the enhanced looks of a 50mm rim for new summer build.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
I've just bought some 35mm carbon wheels but the more I think about it, I think they'll go on my winter / all rounder bike as I think I really want the enhanced looks of a 50mm rim for new summer build.
Must admit mine will be, spring, summer rides, I’ll use stock wheels or maybe get some more 35 Sciroccos in winter as they have been bulletproof for me in the past :okay:

Top Bottom