Wheel Upgrade for Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
A Campag 10 speed cassette will work with Shimano or SRAM 10 speed set ups as well as anything else. I run a mixture of both hub types across my wheel sets and don't ever get any shifting issues. The one thing to not mix are shifters and derailleurs!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Anything up to 35 will not be too much of an issue in crosswinds and may even give you a minor aero benefit..

I thought the wheels on my old TCR 1 were small (perhaps 24mm) and it got a bit scary in the wind, even down right dangerous at times but with the slightly taller 30mm rims it seems OK, not helped of course by my weight of only 10st 7lbs (65kg)
The bigger rims seem to give me more confidence I have to say. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I did look at the Pro-Lite wheels and they did have a good write up but I'm going to stick to either Shimano or Fulcrum as I'm a scaredy cat. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Can you mix and match wheels ?
The reason I ask is, if I got a pair of Fulcrum 3's which run 24mm front and 30mm rear rims and I didn't like the front, could I buy another 30mm rim from another make and put that on the bike.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Yes, but you are over-thinking it. If you can detect a 6mm difference in rim depth, you need to turn pro...

I might well be DB.. :smile: but I'm just thinking about how bad the wheel set was on my old road bike to the 30mm I run now?

Cyclist33

I might well be DB.. :smile: but I'm just thinking about how bad the wheel set was on my old road bike to the 30mm I run now?

You would need a control situation to make the comparison ie was it the same make and model of wheel with the shallower rim? Otherwise there could be any number of variables affecting the ride quality.

I always thought that the deeper the rim, the more the crosswind would take hold of it and the less stable, so your observation above that the deeper (30mm) rims were better in the wind seems odd. I can only posit that their extra weight keeps them on the road in a slightly more grounded way. In which case you might conclude that what you need at your weight and riding preference, is a shallow rim with more spokes, so that it would be heavy enough to ground the bike but shallow enough to provide some comfort..?

Just me's thoughts!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You would need a control situation to make the comparison ie was it the same make and model of wheel with the shallower rim? Otherwise there could be any number of variables affecting the ride quality.

I always thought that the deeper the rim, the more the crosswind would take hold of it and the less stable, so your observation above that the deeper (30mm) rims were better in the wind seems odd. I can only posit that their extra weight keeps them on the road in a slightly more grounded way. In which case you might conclude that what you need at your weight and riding preference, is a shallow rim with more spokes, so that it would be heavy enough to ground the bike but shallow enough to provide some comfort..?

Just me's thoughts!

Interesting thoughts indeed but I think that 30mm is not deemed that deep but just a bit better than 24mm, if I wanted 50 or 60mm I think that would be a bit over the top?

Another thought that has come to mind why this bike is better with 30mm wheels is perhaps nothing to do with the wheels and that is its an endurance bike so the geometry is slightly softer and that makes a bit of sense to it, but dont improve the weight of the wheels question.

Cheers. :smile:

VamP

Banned

Just me's thoughts!

Seriously?

VamP

Banned
yeah, cos obviously the bike would become airborne if the wheels were lighter... ;)

Yeah I hate it when that happens.

et.png

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
People say all sorts about wheels and crosswinds, so long as you aren't riding about with a 90mm deep rim on the front, in a gale (which will trouble pretty much anyone), I would generalise that it is 50:50 whether it will suit you or not, that 50% would end up coming down to how heavy you are, the wheel shape, whether you are a nervous rider etc.

Ask a tester about disc wheels, we ride them whatever the weather, if the wind is so bad you can't ride one, it is too bad to race! Similarly people told me trispokes are a handful in the wind (because the area changes dramatically when each of the 3 large spokes go behind the forks etc) yet I find my 60mm deep trispoke more stable in the wind than a 28mm rim!

i.e. unless you are doing something stupid like my 1st example, then you won't be able to go on what other people say re. winds and wheels IME.

Top Bottom