Wheel Upgrade for Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
RS81 35mm carbons for me cause they look uber sexy - just my opinion

Fulcrums blah
Mavics blah
C24's not as nice as the 35's

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
RS81 35mm carbons for me cause they look uber sexy - just my opinion

Fulcrums blah
Mavics blah
C24's not as nice as the 35's

Do you think the 35 mm carbons would be better at up hill stuff than what I have?
I do like the wheels I have on because of the 30mm rim which helps loads in the crosswind saga, but thats all, not too keen on them as a wheel.

RS81 C35s are heavy wheels for the money, if that's what you want - compare the weight against your current wheels and if the RS81 C35s are heavier then they won't be an improvement uphill. The 24s are by far the better all-round performers. Fulcrum 1s are also good.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a 'funky-looking' 35mm section wheelset, then buy some Fulcrum Quattros - similar weight as the C35s - and about £300 less.

Last edited:

jowwy

Before i'm shot down in flames - again. this is the information that is posted on the interweb about these wheels

Your Current Wheels DT axis 1.0 = 2200grammes
Rs81's 35mm = 1689grammes
Rs81's C24 = 1537Grammes

both sets of wheels are significantly lighter then you current ones - so it now comes down to specification and looks

and for me the the Rs81's 35mm wins handsdown on the looks front compared to the 24's.

Again thats just my 2cents - shod both pairs with some decent light weight rubber like conti 4000s and my personal opinion is that you would see a vast improvement, compared to your current hob nail boot wheels.

VamP

Banned
I saw 2200 g and just had to look ^_^ I see them listed at 2200g but also at 1950g :thumbsdown: Either way they are phenomenally heavy

I do agree with Dusty that the 35mm Shimano's are very heavy for the price, and the aero benefit of 35 mm rims will be very small. If you like the look then that's fine, but there are better performing wheels out there for less.

jowwy

I saw 2200 g and just had to look ^_^ I see them listed at 2200g but also at 1950g :thumbsdown: Either way they are phenomenally heavy

I do agree with Dusty that the 35mm Shimano's are very heavy for the price, and the aero benefit of 35 mm rims will be very small. If you like the look then that's fine, but there are better performing wheels out there for less.
i knew you would Vamp - but this is what i found - but boon says he has 30mm deep rims so they may even be slightly heavier

Specification and Features of the DT Swiss Axis 1.0 Wheelset

1. •DT Swiss Axis 1.0 700c Wheelset

2. •Quality DT Swiss 23mm rims

3. •2200g Pair

4. •Single butted spokes

5. •24 Spokes Front

6. •32 Spokes Rear

7. •Quick Release Axles

8. •Shimano Compatible Steel Freehub body.

VamP

Banned
i knew you would Vamp - but this is what i found - but boon says he has 30mm deep rims so they may even be slightly heavier

Specification and Features of the DT Swiss Axis 1.0 Wheelset

1. •DT Swiss Axis 1.0 700c Wheelset

2. •Quality DT Swiss 23mm rims

3. •2200g Pair

4. •Single butted spokes

5. •24 Spokes Front

6. •32 Spokes Rear

7. •Quick Release Axles

8. •Shimano Compatible Steel Freehub body.

Not disputing it - just raising eyebrows at the weight.

@OP - you are in Malaga right? If I lived there, and wanted a good climbing wheelset, I'd be looking at carbon tubulars all day long. You can get very cheap carbon these days, or expensive obviously, if that's your thing, but a good very aero tubular will be sub 1300g and a non aero one sub 1000g.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Before i'm shot down in flames - again. this is the information that is posted on the interweb about these wheels

Your Current Wheels DT axis 1.0 = 2200grammes
Rs81's 35mm = 1689grammes
Rs81's C24 = 1537Grammes

both sets of wheels are significantly lighter then you current ones - so it now comes down to specification and looks

and for me the the Rs81's 35mm wins handsdown on the looks front compared to the 24's.

Again thats just my 2cents - shod both pairs with some decent light weight rubber like conti 4000s and my personal opinion is that you would see a vast improvement, compared to your current hob nail boot wheels.

Well done in finding the weight of my wheels, I googled and found nowt about the weight, I've just ordered some conti 4000's on Tuesday of this week so that part is done..
Cheers

jowwy

Well done in finding the weight of my wheels, I googled and found nowt about the weight, I've just ordered some conti 4000's on Tuesday of this week so that part is done..
Cheers
no problem boon 51 - now its just the wheels you need to choose lol

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Not disputing it - just raising eyebrows at the weight.

@OP - you are in Malaga right? If I lived there, and wanted a good climbing wheelset, I'd be looking at carbon tubulars all day long. You can get very cheap carbon these days, or expensive obviously, if that's your thing, but a good very aero tubular will be sub 1300g and a non aero one sub 1000g.

Whats the tubular part mean..?
What wheels are carbon tubular as that might be and easier way for me to have a look..

Cheers

jowwy

Whats the tubular part mean..?
What wheels are carbon tubular as that might be and easier way for me to have a look..

Cheers
tubular tyres and not clinchers - means you need to carry spare tyres if you ride rather than just spare tubes - good if your racing, but not for everyday riding

and again thats just my opinion. i prefer the ease of clinchers for everyday use.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
As for the 30mm rims I have I do find they are better for crosswind as I have them on my bad boy 2.
Question. I have noticed some wheels have bladed spokes, how do they help a wheel perform?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
tubular tyres and not clinchers - means you need to carry spare tyres if you ride rather than just spare tubes - good if your racing, but not for everyday riding

and again thats just my opinion. i prefer the ease of clinchers for everyday use.

Gotcha.. I think clinchers will do me I'm sure.

jowwy

As for the 30mm rims I have I do find they are better for crosswind as I have them on my bad boy 2.
Question. I have noticed some wheels have bladed spokes, how do they help a wheel perform?
have not got a clue about bladed spokes

Top Bottom