Wheel Upgrade for Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Other than some brake squealing on a few descents on a ride the other week (which I guess happens with most carbon wheels, it does with my FFWD's) they are looking pretty good so far. He was talking about going into the wind tunnel with some of his new designs and products (I believe some products he sells are his design, especially aero bars, others are re-branded open imports, but they tend to be ones that are less common and that he has tested to be superior) in the new year too, so maybe he will come back with some data on them, unlike other carbon importers.
i got my roadie wheels - but as said i would like a nice pair for the 29er - i don't use it for mountain biking as such, more towpaths and cycle routes - unluckily for me we aint allowed to tarmac the canal were i am, so its largely rural, potholes and muddy in some secctions - so a nice pair to fit some cx tyres too would be very nice

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Thanks for your imput guys..
I am looking for good hill clinbing wheels and a bit speedier on the pickup as the wheels on my Bod Boy 2 and my Crosstrail Comp have better pick up than the DT Axis 1.0's that are on my road bike?

jowwy

Thanks for your imput guys..
I am looking for good hill clinbing wheels and a bit speedier on the pickup as the wheels on my Bod Boy 2 and my Crosstrail Comp have better pick up than the DT Axis 1.0's that are on my road bike?
Dcr will def build you a good set of lightweight wheels boon - he really is very good informativr guy

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Dcr will def build you a good set of lightweight wheels boon - he really is very good informativr guy

Cheers jowwy..

I do have a couple of problems mate... I send Dave from Dcr an email which he never replied too I then sent him a text to which he gave me a mobile number, the cost for me abroad to ring another mobile in another country is mega bucks and he doesn't have a landline number and I'm a bit wary of dealing with a firm that hasn't a landline number as I've been caught before..
So I'm not giving up on Dcr's but I'll just have to think of another mode of conversation, not sure what though..

Cheers Paul

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers jowwy..

I do have a couple of problems mate... I send Dave from Dcr an email which he never replied too I then sent him a text to which he gave me a mobile number, the cost for me abroad to ring another mobile in another country is mega bucks and he doesn't have a landline number and I'm a bit wary of dealing with a firm that hasn't a landline number as I've been caught before..
So I'm not giving up on Dcr's but I'll just have to think of another mode of conversation, not sure what though..

Cheers Paul

He is usually very quick at replying to emails. So strange that he hasn't replied.
He has made 3 pairs of wheels for me now, and wheels for plenty of others on CC.
He is very trustworthy.

jowwy

Cheers jowwy..

Cheers Paul
Oh ok - he always replied to me via email. Those other wheels i linked you too was a very good set of wheels and would be a lot better than the standard ones on your spesh. I would go certainly buy them if i was in the market for new wheels.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
He is usually very quick at replying to emails. So strange that he hasn't replied.
He has made 3 pairs of wheels for me now, and wheels for plenty of others on CC.
He is very trustworthy.

I'm sure he's a good guy and makes good wheels and he comes well recommended, I just dont want spend loads of money on phone call's.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Oh ok - he always replied to me via email. Those other wheels i linked you too was a very good set of wheels and would be a lot better than the standard ones on your spesh. I would go certainly buy them if i was in the market for new wheels.

I might send him another email and see what happens but Merlin do both the Shimano RS 81 and the Mavic Elite S and do free delivery abroad and both wheels I like?
Some reviews gave the Elite S a good wheel for climbing?
Cheers :smile:

I might send him another email and see what happens but Merlin do both the Shimano RS 81 and the Mavic Elite S and do free delivery abroad and both wheels I like?
Some reviews gave the Elite S a good wheel for climbing?
Cheers :smile:

Assuming you mean the RS81 C24, they come in slightly lighter than the Mavics, so in 'theory' will climb better as you will be carrying less weight. Handbuilts are fine, but they are all just wheels at the end of the day...

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just googled Shimano dura ace 9000 C24 and two firms had these at £600 and wiggle had them at £278 surely thats a mistake?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Morning Guys..
Just an update..

Still not heard from DCR so I will leave that alone. I did contact some else who was very helpful and here's what he said.

The DT Axis 1.0 wheels I have on the bike are not too bad as a wheel but not really good on quality, so I could give you only a little improvement on speed but a lot better quality of wheel.
Another big issue will be postage as he is only a one man band and it would cost me £100 + to send the wheels to Spain so thats ruled them out..

So its back to factory made one's.
Shimano.. RS81 C24's or Shimano RS81 35 carbon's the Mavic Elites S's, or the dearer Shimano 9000 dura ace @ £600 or the Fulcrum 1's and just a bit less.

Cheers

Top Bottom