Wheel Upgrade for Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
what do you want from the wheels?? do you need them lightweight?? strong? for racing? every day use? etc etc

then contact dcr wheels, have a gander at his website, then drop him an email with your requirements and he will advise on the wheels - thats what i did

Hi jowwy.

The Axis rims I have on my bike at the moment are sluggish and hard work as was my old bike wheels on the other bike but they are a 30 size which are better aero wise so less crosswind problems.
I need faster spinning for hills but I'm not racing just going as fast as I can.
Light weight and strong would be an advantage for sure.
I will look at the website tonight and wing an email of to him and see what he comes up with..
Thanks once again for good info..

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Hi jowwy.

The Axis rims I have on my bike at the moment are sluggish and hard work as was my old bike wheels on the other bike but they are a 30 size which are better aero wise so less crosswind problems.
I need faster spinning for hills but I'm not racing just going as fast as I can.
Light weight and strong would be an advantage for sure.
I will look at the website tonight and wing an email of to him and see what he comes up with..
Thanks once again for good info..
Good man

Im using velocity a23's on 105hubs and they really are nice wheels. I use them for winter training rides.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Question..
If I was to go down the hand built wheel's route how do I know what to ask for? or do you give them a price say €500 and let them build them to that price?
I have no clue.
Well, you should have a good idea of the use intended, ie commuting, racing, club rides, etc. The quality of roads you use. He should be able to suggest suitable components to build you the wheels for your weight (don't see any issues with that) the weight of the wheels will determine a lot of how much they cost. You can give the builder an idea of the weight you would like the wheels to be. He should be able to spec something for you.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Right I have send an email and once he has replied I will give him a ring as its easier to talk to someone than write emails..

jowwy

Hi jowwy..
Do you reckon theses wheels would be good for acceleration and on the hill climbs?
personally the only thing that would help speed, acceleration and climbing is the engine itself - but thats not withstanding the fact that stiffer, lighter wheels would help with the transfer of power from the drive train to the wheel and towards forward momentum, but the gains would be quite small.

for me wheels are more about the bling factor than the performance factor as at my age, weight and ability i could never do any wheelset justice.

BUT - they are very nice wheels indeed

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hi jowwy..
Do you reckon theses wheels would be good for acceleration and on the hill climbs?

They are heavy for the money IMO. My £200 Pro-Lite wheels are lighter than that. The Shimano are a bit deeper section though to be fair, but they are for sure not climbing wheels if that is what you are looking for.

jowwy

They are heavy for the money IMO.
they do seem quite heavy at 1670grammes - but i'm sure i've seen heavier carbon wheels for a lot more money than that - i'm guessing that its probably down to the carbon laminate and 35mm deep rims - but they do look nice Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
they do seem quite heavy at 1670grammes - but i'm sure i've seen heavier carbon wheels for a lot more money than that - i'm guessing that its probably down to the carbon laminate and 35mm deep rims - but they do look nice Rob3rt

They look okay, nowt special.

There are probably heavier carbon wheels out there, conversely, there are 1100g carbon wheelsets for ~£400 available!

jowwy

They look okay, nowt special.

There are probably heavier carbon wheels out there, conversely, there are 1100g carbon wheelsets for ~£400 available!
were, were let me at em, i wanna see lol

jowwy

Read VamP's thread on his CX wheels.
ah yeh i saw that post - still a bit weary of them tho - i'm looking at getting a set in the spring to put on my 29er for commuting on, disc brake compatible though

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I know a bloke trialling some carbon clinchers through the winter before moving forward with importing and selling under his brand, I am eager to hear his views on them and about a tubular version, something super light.

jowwy

I know a bloke trialling some carbon clinchers through the winter before moving forward with importing and selling under his brand, I am eager to hear his views on them and about a tubular version, something super light.
would be good to know how that goes rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Other than some brake squealing on a few descents on a ride the other week (which I guess happens with most carbon wheels, it does with my FFWD's) they are looking pretty good so far. He was talking about going into the wind tunnel with some of his new designs and products (I believe some products he sells are his design, especially aero bars, others are re-branded open imports, but they tend to be ones that are less common and that he has tested to be superior) in the new year too, so maybe he will come back with some data on them, unlike other carbon importers.

Top Bottom