Wheel Upgrade for Christmas.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
On my bike I have a pair of DT Axis 1.0's and I thinking about getting an upgrade wheelset for christmas.
So far I've looked at two sets that have caught my eye..
Mavic Ksyruim Elite S ( £472) and the Zipp 30 clincher (£540)

Have you any thoughts or even something else I could look at.. they need to be good on hills.

Cheers

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
On my bike I have a pair of DT Axis 1.0's and I thinking about getting an upgrade wheelset for christmas.
So far I've looked at two sets that have caught my eye..
Mavic Ksyruim Elite S ( £472) and the Zipp 30 clincher (£540)

Have you any thoughts or even something else I could look at.. they need to be good on hills.

Cheers
have you thought of getting handbuilt wheels to your specification - could get a fair spec for £500

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
have you thought of getting handbuilt wheels to your specification - could get a fair spec for £500

Agreed....there are some really good wheel builders out there who will make you a pair of one off's to your own spec for not a lot of money.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran

They look very nice and at a good price.. I might give them a ring.

PS.. Just looked on there web site and its free shipping to Spain.. mmmmm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just emailed the bike shop in Malaga and his price for the Mavic Elite S's are €528 and those Shimano RS 81's are €563 delivered so nowt really in the price.
Not knowing much about wheels are they the same spec or is one better than the other?

Cheers Paul

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
They look very nice and at a good price.. I might give them a ring.

PS.. Just looked on there web site and its free shipping to Spain.. mmmmm
this is what they say in short about the rs81's

Like the Zipps the rims on the RS81s are pretty wide at 20.8mm. We've seen a lot wider rims recently for a couple of reasons, It improves the aerodynamics of the tyre and rim combination because it makes for a smoother transition between the two, and it also makes the rim laterally stiffer, and the wheel stronger.

i have wider rims on my handbuilts and they do make for a nice comfy plush ride with 25mm tyres

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Did you get the ones with these fancy tyres on or did you just get the wheels..?
I have been using Ultremos which are really nice, but my other half has just bought me some mavic tyres but i have not fitted them yet, but i have a mate who uses the mavics and he rates them really good, probably will not put them on till the spring when the weather gets a bit better.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You don't have to buy from here :smile: I'm sure you can find excellent wheel builders in Spain too.

I expect I could find a wheel builder over here but they will cost more and of course you have the language barrier as I've found out .
Ordering a meal and general spanish I'm OK with but anything medical, legal, mechanical, or electrical is very hard.. I will have a scout around and see what I can come up with.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I have been using Ultremos which are really nice, but my other half has just bought me some mavic tyres but i have not fitted them yet, but i have a mate who uses the mavics and he rates them really good, probably will not put them on till the spring when the weather gets a bit better.

I do the same I have Gatorskins over the winter months and Conti 4000s in the summer.. :smile:

Top Bottom