wheel upgrade help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

h0lly1991

I'm after some help with a wheel upgrade. I ride a couple of times a week at the moment and 4 to 5 times a week in the summer and do about 1500 miles a year. Budget is £500 thanks in advance.

What are you upgrading from, and what size are your wheels?

ANT 666

Trying to re member
Last year i got a pair of wonderful hand built wheels on royce hubs from DCR wheels, I gave him a ring and chatted about me and my use of the wheels and he was more than helpful, no pressure to buy and never tried to sell me more than i needed. I would really recomend him, the wheels ride like a dream.
His website is dcrwheels.co.uk

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I'm after some help with a wheel upgrade. I ride a couple of times a week at the moment and 4 to 5 times a week in the summer and do about 1500 miles a year. Budget is £500 thanks in advance.

You should be able to get some nice hand built wheels for £300 or so, For the kind of riding you do you don;t need to spend any more,

Law of diminishing returns (especially if just for leisure) if you are starting from Fulcrum 3. Lots of decent wheels in £300-500 bracket. Not sure how much "better" than the fulcrums you'll get but you will get different depending on your usage i.e. climbing wheels or aero or commuting/touring.
Are your wheels worn out or broken?

OP
OP
h0lly1991

h0lly1991

Wheels are worn out.... And I suppose being a typical newbie just not sure which way to go now....

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Wheels are worn out.... And I suppose being a typical newbie just not sure which way to go now....

Well.the way to go is a new set of wheels and you can either go with hand built or not. My guess is that if you go to your LBS they will sell you anything around your budget, £500, regardless of your real needs. Not a good idea to say what your budget is to start with :laugh:

I'd say go for hand built, a wheel builder will be able to put together a set that suit your weight, and your riding style. I'm confident you wont go over £250 - £300. Drop me a message if you like, I might be able to help :smile:

bpsmith

Veteran
+1 for the Zonda's and GP4000S combo. Amazing setup and changed my ride considerably.

The Zonda's sit between the Fulcrum 5's and the 3's I am told.

Zondas are not an upgrade from Fulcrum 3s.
If you are looking for an "all round" wheel are there any wheels considered to be a genuinely noticeable upgrade from Fulcrum 3 within the budget?
My suggestions are, i believe, similar level to op's current wheels but well within budget, allowing possible improvements through getting better tyres and, of course, lots of cake! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Zondas are not an upgrade from Fulcrum 3s.
Totally spot on! They sit between the 5's and the 3's, as I said above. What we did forget is that the OP already has the 3's. Doh!

The Campag Shamal are definitely worth a look, but the 3's are so good that I echo the above and would spend on some nice tyres first.

The other option is to try some different style of wheels as a sideways option to complement the 3's. Aero wheels maybe.

Personally, I would love a set of Campag Bora's, but they are a significantly more expensive option. Awesome looking though!

Top Bottom