Wheel upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Or about the same weight as a full 500ml water bottle :smile:
Why does having lighter wheels mean you need an extra water bottle?

In all seriousness, strap said 500ml bottle to your ankle and see how much more noticeable it is to the same strapped to your stomach. The same is felt with weight removed from the wheels compared to the core of the bike.

Enjoy your new wheels @Philh

In all seriousness, strap said 500ml bottle to your ankle and see how much more noticeable it is to the same strapped to your stomach. The same is felt with weight removed from the wheels compared to the core of the bike.

Enjoy your new wheels @Philh

Your analogy is not even closely related to the real scenario. But I do agree that me must prevent any fuss and just ride and look at his new wheels when admiring his reflection in shop windows.

bpsmith

Veteran
Your analogy is not even closely related to the real scenario. But I do agree that me must prevent any fuss and just ride and look at his new wheels when admiring his reflection in shop windows.
It's as close as it gets when using just the human body in comparison to the bike.

It's common knowledge that it takes more energy to move 500g of rotational wheel weight than 500g of frame weight.

My analogy translates into similarly using more energy to move the water bottle when strapped to your leg than strapped to your core.

Citius

Nobody said it does. You've misunderstood the point. Which was, the weight saving is roughly the equivalent of a full 500ml bottle. Worth bearing in mind, next time you go out for a ride with 2x 750ml.

It's common knowledge that it takes more energy to move 500g of rotational wheel weight than 500g of frame weight.

This 'common knowledge' you speak of - I'm looking forward to seeing the evidence. I suspect it's more of a 'common misunderstanding'.

bpsmith

Veteran
Nobody said it does. You've misunderstood the point. Which was, the weight saving is roughly the equivalent of a full 500ml bottle. Worth bearing in mind, next time you go out for a ride with 2x 750ml
As have you. The whole reason for me starting the second paragraph of my reply as I did!

But, if you must pursue this example, surely you only take the water you require for the chosen ride? If you need 1.5 litres with you then so be it, but wouldn't you prefer to have that with your wheels saving you 33.3% of the weight of said bottles?

Citius

No, you're still missing it. I'm just trying to point out that 500g is thoroughly insignificant - regardless of whether it is off the wheels, the frame, or the amount of fluids being carried.

It's as close as it gets when using just the human body in comparison to the bike.

My analogy translates into similarly using more energy to move the water bottle when strapped to your leg than strapped to your core.

No, your analogy accelerates a 500g mass from zero to 110 rpm many dozens of times per ride (each stop, each freewheel) whereas a wheel is only accelerated to speed when the bike starts from standstill and is brought up to speed.

Mrs M

Guru
I would just stick with the wheels you have on the bike.
I have a Felt road bike with Sora and only changed my wheels when I had to, the Felt wheels wore down on the rims. :sad:
Got some Shimano wheels. Quite basic but I like them.
Before my wheels were replaced I did change the tyres to Continental Gatorskins and think they do roll along better.
I only replace when things wear down, apart from saddle and pedals.

bpsmith

Veteran
No, your analogy accelerates a 500g mass from zero to 110 rpm many dozens of times per ride (each stop, each freewheel) whereas a wheel is only accelerated to speed when the bike starts from standstill and is brought up to speed.
My analogy was somebody walking along with a bottle strapped to their leg. Doesn't matter and not going to argue the point anymore!

Do you not agree that lighter wheels save more energy than the same saving on the frame?

bpsmith

Veteran
No, you're still missing it. I'm just trying to point out that 500g is thoroughly insignificant - regardless of whether it is off the wheels, the frame, or the amount of fluids being carried.
Have you ever upgraded the wheels on your bike? Sounds like you haven't?

Philh

Über Member
Sorry guys I didn't mean to stir up debate

Lighter wheels will save less than 1% of the energy required to ride a bike. Wheel aerodynamics have a much more significant effect.

http://www.biketechreview.com/reviews/wheels/63-wheel-performance

I didn't buy the wheels to go faster, the closest is this

I bought them because i wanted them, they look nice, and they were at a nice discount from my LBS.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have about eight different sets of wheels, depending on what I'm doing.

No I don't agree. And neither would you if read up on it.
Do explain why you have 8 sets of upgraded wheels then and why you see no gain from having anything other than stock?

8 sets on 8 different bikes don't count as upgraded wheels btw...

Last edited:

Citius

Do explain why you have 8 sets of upgraded wheels then and why you see no gain from having anything other than stock?

Nobody said there was 'no gain from anything other than stock' - not sure where you read that. In general, lighter wheels make the bike lighter. Having a lighter bike is usually good. But, your original point that 500g off the wheels is more advantageous than 500g off the frame is fallacy. That's the only point I think people are trying to help you understand here.

bpsmith

Veteran
Nobody said there was 'no gain from anything other than stock' - not sure where you read that. In general, lighter wheels make the bike lighter. Having a lighter bike is usually good. But, your original point that 500g off the wheels is more advantageous than 500g off the frame is fallacy. That's the only point I think people are trying to help you understand here.
There's no "helping me understand" going on. Just your opinion. I don't appear to have seen anything quoted to back it up?

Top Bottom